Excel EOMONTH function
To get the date that is a specific number of months before or after a given start date, the EDTAE function can do you a favor. Here is an EOMONTH function which is similar with the EDATE function, but, it returns the last day of month after adding or subtracting a number of months from a date.
The syntax for the EOMONTH function in Excel is:
=EOMONTH (Start_date, Months)
- Start_date: A valid date in Excel that indicates the start date.
- Months: The number of months before or after start date, it can be positive or negative value. A positive value for months to get a date in the future, and a negative value for date in the past.
Return last day of month date n months in future or past
To get the last day of the month that is a specific number of months before or after a given start date, please enter the following formula, and you will get a serial numbers, see screenshot:
Then, you should go to the Format Cells dialog box to format the serial numbers as a normal date format as you need, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, A2 is the start date you want to use, B2 is the cell contains the month number you want to add.
Tips: You can also replace the cell references in the above formulas with the date text string and month number, such as:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings
300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save
80% time for you.
- Designed for
1500 work scenarios, helps you solve
80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by
50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.