How to toggle between hidden and visible columns in Excel?
Hiding and unhiding columns in Excel can be a common task that many of us apply it usually. For instance, you have a worksheet with some hidden columns, and now you want to unhide them to scan some information, after scanning, you need to hide them again. However, it can be a time consuming procedure if carried out frequently. Are there any easy tips to help you toggle the hidden columns between visible and invisible quickly?
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
The following shortcut keys can help you quickly toggle the hidden columns between hide and show. Please do as this:
1. Select the columns that you want to hide. If you want to hide the non-continuous columns, please hold the Ctrl key.
2. Press the Ctrl + 0 keys to hide the selected columns.
3. And then hold Ctrl + Shift + 0 keys to unhide the columns. If you want to hide the columns again, press Ctrl + 0 keys.
So you can toggle the hidden columns between the Ctrl + 0 and Ctrl + Shift + 0 keys.
Note: For some reason, the shortcut keys Ctrl + Shift + 0 will not work in Windows 7, you can solve it with following steps:
(1.) Click Start button, and then select Control Panel;
(2.) Then click Change keyboards or other input methods under Clock, Language, and Region option.
(3.) In the Region and Language dialog box, click Keyboards and Language > Change keyboards… see screenshot:
(4.) In the Text Services and Input Languages dialog box, click Advanced Key Settings, and choose Between input languages under Hot keys for input languages. Then click Change Key Sequence button. See screenshot:
(5.) And in the Change Key Sequence dialog box, select Not Assigned from Switch Keyboard Layout. Then click OK > OK > OK.
After these settings, the shortcut keys Ctrl + Shift + 0 can be taken effect.
Supposing you have a worksheet which columns B, C, E, F are hidden, and here you want to display them and then hide them again. With the following VBA code, you can also solve this problem.
1. Click Developer > Visual Basic, and a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will display, click Insert > Module, and then input the following code in the module.
Sub ToogleHideColumns() 'Update 20131107 Dim hideArr As Variant hideArr = Array("B:C", "E:F") For i = 0 To UBound(hideArr) Columns(hideArr(i)).EntireColumn.Hidden = Not Columns(hideArr(i)).EntireColumn.Hidden Next End Sub
2. Then press F5 key to run the code, and the hidden columns B:C and E:F will be displayed. If you want to hide the columns again, please press F5 key again.
With Toggle Hidden Columns Visibility function of Kutools for Excel, you can easily toggle all hidden columns to be visible or invisible in Excel.
After installing Kutools for Excel, you can quickly show or hide the hidden columns as you need.
1. Open a workbook which must contains some hidden columns.
2. Click Kutools > Columns, see screenshot:
And the hidden columns have been displayed. And if you click the Columns again, the columns have been hidden again. See screenshots: