How to count merged cells in selected range in Excel?
Usually, you prefer to merge all same value cells in a range in Excel. But in some circumstances, you may need to count all merged cells in a selected range. How to deal with it? This article will introduce two methods to quickly count the merged cells in Excel.
1. Hold ALT button and press F11 on the keyboard to open a Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and copy the VBA into the module.
VBA: Count merged cells in a range
Function CountMerged(pWorkRng As Range) As Long 'Updateby20140307 Dim rng As Range Dim total As Long Set dt = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary") For Each rng In pWorkRng If rng.MergeCells Then TempAddress = rng.MergeArea.Address dt(TempAddress) = "" End If Next CountMerged = dt.Count End Function
3. Save the code and close the window, and type this formula =CountMerged(A1:G10) (the range A1:G10 is the range you want to count the merged cells from, you can change it as you need) into a blank cell, and press Enter button on the keyboard. Then the counted result is shown in the cell, see screenshot:
Here I will show you a quick way to count merged cells in a range with just one click with the Select Merged cells utility of Kutools for Excel. Please do as follows.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select the range with merged cells you want to count. And then click Kutools > Select > Select Merged Cells. See screenshot:
2. Then a Kutools for Excel dialog box pops up with the total number of merged cells listed inside. Please click the OK button. Then all merged cells in the selected range are selected immediately. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!