How to count merged cells in selected range in Excel?
Usually, you prefer to merge all same value cells in a range in Excel. But in some circumstances, you may need to count all merged cells in a selected range. How to deal with it? This article will introduce two methods to quickly count the merged cells in Excel.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
1. Hold ALT button and press F11 on the keyboard to open a Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and copy the VBA into the module.
VBA: Count merged cells in a range
Function CountMerged(pWorkRng As Range) As Long 'Updateby20140307 Dim rng As Range Dim total As Long Set dt = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary") For Each rng In pWorkRng If rng.MergeCells Then TempAddress = rng.MergeArea.Address dt(TempAddress) = "" End If Next CountMerged = dt.Count End Function
3. Save the code and close the window, and type this formula =CountMerged(A1:G10) (the range A1:G10 is the range you want to count the merged cells from, you can change it as you need) into a blank cell, and press Enter button on the keyboard. Then the counted result is shown in the cell, see screenshot:
Here I will show you a quick way to count merged cells in a range with just one click with the Select Merged cells utility of Kutools for Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select the range with merged cells you want to count. And then click Kutools > Select > Select Merged Cells. See screenshot:
2. Then a Kutools for Excel dialog box pops up with the total number of merged cells listed inside. Please click the OK button. Then all merged cells in the selected range are selected immediately. See screenshot:
If you want to have a free trial of this utility, please go to free download the software first, and then go to apply the operation according above steps.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download the free trial now!
Recommended Productivity Tools
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi Dear, How to count the number of rows in merged cells by using formula and not by VBA. For Example, If range A1:A10 is merged then how to get the number of merged rows (i.e. 10) in this range by using only the formula.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHi,
This counts the number of merged cells but if three cells are combined then it returns 1 merged cell - can it be made to count unmerged cells? If so any help appreciated!