How to check if a sheet exists in a workbook?
When you have dozens of worksheets or even hundreds of worksheets in a workbook, and you want to find or check if a sheet exists in this workbook, in general, it may be a huge work. Now I introduce a VBA code and a handy tool for you to quickly check if a sheet exists in a workbook.
Please follow the below steps to copy the VBA code and run it to check if a sheet exists in current workbook.
1. Press Alt + F11 to display the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the window, click Insert > Module to show a new module window, then copy the following VBA code into the module window.
VBA: Check if a sheet exists in a workbook.
Function CheckSheet(pName As String) As Boolean 'Updateby20140617 Dim IsExist As Boolean IsExist = False For i = 1 To Application.ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Count If Application.ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(i).Name = pName Then IsExist = True Exit For End If Next CheckSheet = IsExist End Function
3. Save this code, and go back to the sheet and select a blank cell to type this formula =CheckSheet(“Shee1”) ( Sheet1 indicates the sheet name you want to check if it exists) into it, press Enter button, FALSE indicates this sheet does not exist, and TURE indicates it exists in current workbook.
With above Defined Function, you just can check if a sheet exists and which is also a little difficult. However, with Kutools for Excel, the Navigation pane list all sheets name for you, which supports to scroll to find the sheet, or filter the sheet name to find the sheet, and if you need, you can click the sheet name to quickly switch to the sheet after finding.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. enable the workbook you want to check a sheet name if exists in, and then click Kutools > Navigation. See screenshot
2. Then in the popping pane, click Workbook & Sheet button to expand the pane, you can see all sheet names list in the pane, you can scroll to find the sheet names.
3. Or you can check Filter button, then type the key words of the sheet name you want to check, then the specified sheet name will be list, click at the sheet name, then it turn to the sheet.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!