How to filter cells with comments in Excel?
It is common for us to insert comments in worksheet which we can mark some important information or details. But, in certain condition, we would like to filter only the rows that contain comments and put them together for easily viewing. The Filter feature in Excel is not available for us to solve this job directly. In this article, you will learn how to filter cells with comments in Excel.
To filter the commented rows only, you can identify the comment cells with User Defined Function first and then apply the Filter function.
1. Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
VBA code: Identify the cells which contain comments
Function HasComment(r As Range) 'Update 20140718 Application.Volatile True HasComment = Not r.Comment Is Nothing End Function
3. Then save the code and close the Module window, and go back to the worksheet, enter this formula =HasComment(B2) into a blank cell next to the comment cell,(B2 contains the value that you want to use) see screenshot:
4. And then drag the fill handle to the range cells that you want to apply this formula, and you will get TRUE or FALSE in the cells, TRUE stands for the cells which have comments and FALSE indicates no comments.
5. After identifying the comment cells, select the data range and then click Data > Filter, see screenshot:
6. Then click the drop down arrow beside the helper column, check TRUE option only, see screenshot:
7. And click OK button, then the comment rows have been filtered out as following screenshot shown:
8. At last, you can delete the contents of column C as you need.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)