How to split a long column into multiple columns in Excel?
Split long column into multiple columns with VBA
Split a long column into multiple columns with Kutools for Excel
1. Press Alt + F11 keys together to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module and copy the follow VBA code to the popped out window.
VBA: Split long column into multiple columns.
Sub SplitColumn() 'Updateby20141106 Dim rng As Range Dim InputRng As Range Dim OutRng As Range Dim xRow As Integer Dim xCol As Integer Dim xArr As Variant xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set InputRng = Application.Selection Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Range :", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type: = 8) xRow = Application.InputBox("Rows :", xTitleId) Set OutRng = Application.InputBox("Out put to (single cell):", xTitleId, Type: = 8) Set InputRng = InputRng.Columns(1) xCol = InputRng.Cells.Count / xRow ReDim xArr(1 To xRow, 1 To xCol + 1) For i = 0 To InputRng.Cells.Count - 1 xValue = InputRng.Cells(i + 1) iRow = i Mod xRow iCol = VBA.Int(i / xRow) xArr(iRow + 1, iCol + 1) = xValue Next OutRng.Resize(UBound(xArr, 1), UBound(xArr, 2)).Value = xArr End Sub
3. Click Run button or press F5 key to run the VBA, and a dialog popped out for selecting the data list, and then click OK to go to specify how many rows in one column you need in the next dialog, then click OK and select a cell to output the result. See screenshots:
4. Click OK, then you can see the long column is split into multiple columns and every column has 15 cells.
Maybe some of you do not like to use VBA code, fortunately, you can use the Transform Range utility of Kutools for Excel to quickly and easily convert a long column to fixed number of columns.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the column data you want to split, then click Kutools > Range > Transform Range. See screenshot:
2. In the popped out dialog, check Single column to range option, then check Fixed value option and type the number of columns you need into the textbox. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok and select a single cell to put out the split data. See screenshot:
4. Click OK to finish the operations. Now the long column data has been split into three columns.
Is it easier than VBA code? With Transform Range utility, you can convert a row to range, a range to a row or one column.
Quickly Split one cell into columns or rows based on delimiter
|In Excel, to split a cell into columns is tedious with the Wizard step by step. But with Kutools for Excel's Split Cells utility, you can: 1,convert one cell into columns or rows based on delimiter; 2,convert string into text and number; 3,convert string based on specific width, with clicks. Click for full-featured 30 days free trial!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|