How to repeat number sequence in Excel?
Have you ever tried to fill down a column with a repeating sequence of numbers in Excel? For example, I want to fill the column with 1, 2 , 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4. Are there any quick method to solve this problem in Excel?
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
To repeat the number sequence, the following simple formula may help you.
1. Enter number 1 into a cell where you want to put the repeated sequence numbers, I will enter it in cell A1.
2. Follow the cell, then type this formula =MOD(A1,4)+1 into cell A2, see screenshot:
3. Then drag the fill handle over to the cells that you want to contain this formula, and you will get the repeated sequence numbers, see screenshot:
1. In the above formula, A1 is the cell your first number stayed in, and the number 4, indicates the repeated sequence number. If you need the sequence repeated as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, you just need to change the 4 to 5.
2. And this formula is just applied to the simple number sequence, if you want to repeat the text string sequence, such as A1001, A1002, A1003, this formula will not work.
3. Your sequence number must be start from number 1, if not, the formula result may be wrong.