How to repeat number sequence in Excel?
Have you ever tried to fill down a column with a repeating sequence of numbers in Excel? For example, I want to fill the column with 1, 2 , 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4. Are there any quick method to solve this problem in Excel?
To repeat the number sequence, the following simple formula may help you.
1. Enter number 1 into a cell where you want to put the repeated sequence numbers, I will enter it in cell A1.
2. Follow the cell, then type this formula =MOD(A1,4)+1 into cell A2, see screenshot:
3. Then drag the fill handle over to the cells that you want to contain this formula, and you will get the repeated sequence numbers, see screenshot:
1. In the above formula, A1 is the cell your first number stayed in, and the number 4, indicates the repeated sequence number. If you need the sequence repeated as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, you just need to change the 4 to 5.
2. And this formula is just applied to the simple number sequence, if you want to repeat the text string sequence, such as A1001, A1002, A1003, this formula will not work.
3. Your sequence number must be start from number 1, if not, the formula result may be wrong.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!