How to automatically generate invoice number in Excel?
As we know, invoice numbers are consecutive. If we input invoice numbers manually, we may forget the invoice number last time we used, and get overlapping number for the new invoice in Excel. In this article, I will introduce two methods to automatically generate invoice numbers in Excel easily.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
1. Create a new workbook, or open the workbook you will add invoice number automatically.
3. Open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications dialog box with pressing the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously, then expand the VBAProject (current workbook), and double click the ThisWorkbook. See left screenshot:
Note: In our case, we double click the ThisWorkbook under the VBAProject (Book1).
4. Paste the following code into the opening window.
VBA: Voice Number Generator
Private Sub Workbook_Open() Range("D2").Value = Range("D2").Value + 1 End Sub
Note: Change the D2 to the specified cell in which you entered the beginning number of invoice number in Step 2.
5. In addition to make whole numbers as invoice number, we can verify our invoice numbers with following formulas:
|Formula is too complicated to remember? Save the formula as an Auto Text entry for reusing with only one click in future!
Read more… Free trial
(1) Change the D2 to the cell you entered the beginning number of invoice in above formulas, and change the CompanyName to the text you want to show in your invoice numbers.
(2) Enter one of above formulas into the cell you will get invoice number automatically, and press the Enter key.
6. Save current workbook:
A. In Excel 2013, click the File > Save (or Save As) > Computer> Browse;
B. In Excel 2007 and 2010, click the File / Office Button > Save (or Save As).
7. In the coming Save As dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Enter a name for this workbook in the File name box;
(2) Click the Save as type box and specify the Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) from drop down list;
(3) Click to open a folder where you will save this workbook;
(4) Click the Save button.
From now on, every time you open the workbook of Invoice Number Generator, the invoice number is 1 bigger than the last time you open the workbook. Please note that you must save the workbook before closing it every time.
You may notice that the first method requires you to get the invoice number only in a specified workbook. What’s worse, once you forget saving the specified workbook before closing, the invoice number will overlap. But with Kutools for Excel’s Insert Sequences Numbers feature, you can insert unique and consecutive invoice number no matter which workbook you are using.
1. Select the cell you will get invoice number, and then click the Kutools > Insert > Insert Sequence Number.
2. In the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, click the New button, and then in the expanding Sequence number editing area please do as follows (see above screenshot):
(1) In the Sequence name box enter a name for the new sequence name, such as Invoice Number.
(2) In the Increment box, enter 1;
(3) In the Prefix (optional) box, enter you company name or other text you will show at the begging of invoice number;
(4) In the Start Number box enter the beginning number of your invoice number, such as 10000 or 1;
(5) In the No. of digits box, specify the digits, such as 6;
(6) Click the Add button.
3. Keep the new created Sequence selected, and click the Fill Range button, and then click the Close button.
No matter in which workbook you apply this Insert Sequence Number feature, it will generate an invoice number that is 1 bigger than the last time you apply this feature. Click to know more about this Insert Sequence Number feature of Kutools for Excel
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 days agoThankyou.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoI am a cleark in a school. In excel sheet student list is their.
I cut the bill student wise via mail merge and give bill no manually so [b] sometimes some bill no skipped[/b]. so I want a rule, when I skipped no give some instruction and stop.
we use data validation, but its work only unique no or duplicate no.
so please help us,
Student name Bill no.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHow do I use this insert to auto generate the number without having to run it every time....Say, every time I open the Quote template it auto fills the cell that I inserted this number generator in?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoVery helpful the automatic numbering of invoices. But how do i keep record of these invoices separately form my template ? I would appreciate your help. thanks L
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agojgljkasdf asjkfg asd asdf agh fajlsd fads ga df
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agothis is also useful for me,
but i need some modification in that
XXX = number
yy-yy = financial year
LAA = Text
Here Financial year from May-13 to April-14
So need as per Example:
For Financial Year 2013-2014
And for next Financial Year 2014-2015
Thanks a lot.
[url=http://www.trainingintambaram.in/hadoop-training-in-chennai.html]hadoop training in chennai[/url] | [url=http://www.traininginsholinganallur.in/informatica-training-in-chennai.html]informatica training in chennai[/url]
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoThe First formula uses the =IF(ISERROR( functions
This has been available in all Excel versions.
The Second formula uses the =IFERROR( Function
Iferror was only introduced in Excel 2007 and hence cannot be used in older versions of Excel.
Both formulas return the same result except that the second formula is more efficient. But unless you have many thousands of these cells with similar formulas you will not notice a speed difference. [url]VMware Training in Chennai[/url] | [url]Pega Training in Chennai[/url]
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoI need your help.
I tried data validation for description column. But the values are wrong. If I click on the coats category, description should display all the items under the coats category but its displaying the other categories description too. Kindly help me in the formula to display the respective descriptions for the category chosen. How to activate the other buttons like filter, create invoice, clear data etc? There is no video for that. Kindly help me. I am trying this program since I wanna create a program using all these options. http://www.traininginsholinganallur.in/dot-net-training-in-chennai.html