How to automatically generate invoice number in Excel?
As we know, invoice numbers are consecutive. If we input invoice numbers manually, we may forget the invoice number last time we used, and get overlapping number for the new invoice in Excel. In this article, I will introduce two methods to automatically generate invoice numbers in Excel easily.
Add a automatically invoice number generator in Excel
1. Create a new workbook, or open the workbook you will add invoice number automatically.
2. Find a blank cell, and enter the beginning number of your invoice numbers. In our case, and enter 10000 into Cell D2.
3. Open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications dialog box with pressing the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously, then expand the VBAProject (current workbook), and double click the ThisWorkbook. See left screenshot: Note: In our case, we double click the ThisWorkbook under the VBAProject (Book1).
4. Paste the following code into the opening window.
VBA: Voice Number Generator
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Range("D2").Value = Range("D2").Value + 1
Note: Change the D2 to the specified cell in which you entered the beginning number of invoice number in Step 2.
5. In addition to make whole numbers as invoice number, we can verify our invoice numbers with following formulas:
Formula is too complicated to remember? Save the formula as an Auto Text entry for reusing with only one click in future! Read more…Free trial
Notes: (1) Change the D2 to the cell you entered the beginning number of invoice in above formulas, and change the CompanyName to the text you want to show in your invoice numbers. (2) Enter one of above formulas into the cell you will get invoice number automatically, and press the Enter key.
6. Save current workbook: A. In Excel 2013, click the File > Save (or Save As) > Computer> Browse; B. In Excel 2007 and 2010, click the File / Office Button > Save (or Save As).
7. In the coming Save As dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Enter a name for this workbook in the File name box; (2) Click the Save as type box and specify the Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) from drop down list; (3) Click to open a folder where you will save this workbook; (4) Click the Save button.
From now on, every time you open the workbook of Invoice Number Generator, the invoice number is 1 bigger than the last time you open the workbook. Please note that you must save the workbook before closing it every time.
Add invoice number with KTE’s Insert Sequence Number feature
You may notice that the first method requires you to get the invoice number only in a specified workbook. What’s worse, once you forget saving the specified workbook before closing, the invoice number will overlap. But with Kutools for Excel’s Insert Sequences Numbers feature, you can insert unique and consecutive invoice number no matter which workbook you are using.
1. Select the cell you will get invoice number, and then click the Kutools > Insert > Insert Sequence Number.
2. In the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, click the New button, and then in the expanding Sequence number editing area please do as follows (see above screenshot): (1) In the Sequence name box enter a name for the new sequence name, such as Invoice Number. (2) In the Increment box, enter 1; (3) In the Prefix (optional) box, enter you company name or other text you will show at the begging of invoice number; (4) In the Start Number box enter the beginning number of your invoice number, such as 10000 or 1; (5) In the No. of digits box, specify the digits, such as 6; (6) Click the Add button.
3. Keep the new created Sequence selected, and click the Fill Range button, and then click the Close button.
Demo: Add invoice number with KTE's Insert Sequence Number feature
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel, free to try without limitation in 30 days. Download and Free Trial Now!
Insert unique and consecutive invoice numbers across multiple workbooks
Most of time, we can only insert consecutive invoice numbers by formulas or other methods in one sheet or one workbook. But, with powerful Insert Sequence Numbers feature of Kutools for Excel, you can easily insert unique and consecutive invoice numbers across multiple workbooks. Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
Easily find and insert all missing sequence numbers (invoice numbers) in a list in Excel
As we know, invoice numbers are consecutive normally. But sometimes some invoice numbers may be missing by mistakes. Kutools for Excel’s Find Missing Sequence Number utility can help you find and insert all missing invoice numbers, and highlight rows or insert blank rows when encountering missing invoice numbers as well. Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
I am a cleark in a school. In excel sheet student list is their. I cut the bill student wise via mail merge and give bill no manually so [b] sometimes some bill no skipped[/b]. so I want a rule, when I skipped no give some instruction and stop. we use data validation, but its work only unique no or duplicate no.
so please help us,
Student name Bill no. Rahul 1 shyam 4 Atal Shivani 2 Ram Pratima 3
this is also useful for me, but i need some modification in that xxx/yy-yy/LAA XXX = number yy-yy = financial year LAA = Text
Here Financial year from May-13 to April-14 So need as per Example: For Financial Year 2013-2014 001/13-14/LAA 002/13-14/LAA 003/13-14/LAA 004/13-14/LAA
And for next Financial Year 2014-2015 001/14-15/LAA 002/14-15/LAA 003/14-15/LAA 004/14-15/LAA Thanks a lot. [url=http://www.trainingintambaram.in/hadoop-training-in-chennai.html]hadoop training in chennai[/url] | [url=http://www.traininginsholinganallur.in/informatica-training-in-chennai.html]informatica training in chennai[/url]
The First formula uses the =IF(ISERROR( functions This has been available in all Excel versions. The Second formula uses the =IFERROR( Function Iferror was only introduced in Excel 2007 and hence cannot be used in older versions of Excel. Both formulas return the same result except that the second formula is more efficient. But unless you have many thousands of these cells with similar formulas you will not notice a speed difference. [url]VMware Training in Chennai[/url] | [url]Pega Training in Chennai[/url]
I need your help. I tried data validation for description column. But the values are wrong. If I click on the coats category, description should display all the items under the coats category but its displaying the other categories description too. Kindly help me in the formula to display the respective descriptions for the category chosen. How to activate the other buttons like filter, create invoice, clear data etc? There is no video for that. Kindly help me. I am trying this program since I wanna create a program using all these options. http://www.traininginsholinganallur.in/dot-net-training-in-chennai.html