How to automatically generate invoice number in Excel?
As we know, invoice numbers are consecutive. If we input invoice numbers manually, we may forget the invoice number last time we used, and get overlapping number for the new invoice in Excel. In this article, I will introduce two methods to automatically generate invoice numbers in Excel easily.
- Add a automatically invoice number generator in Excel
- Add invoice number with KTE’s Insert Sequence Number feature
1. Create a new workbook, or open the workbook you will add invoice number automatically.
3. Open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications dialog box with pressing the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously, then expand the VBAProject (current workbook), and double click the ThisWorkbook. See left screenshot:
Note: In our case, we double click the ThisWorkbook under the VBAProject (Book1).
4. Paste the following code into the opening window.
VBA: Voice Number Generator
Private Sub Workbook_Open() Range("D2").Value = Range("D2").Value + 1 End Sub
Note: Change the D2 to the specified cell in which you entered the beginning number of invoice number in Step 2.
5. In addition to make whole numbers as invoice number, we can verify our invoice numbers with following formulas:
|Formula is too complicated to remember? Save the formula as an Auto Text entry for reusing with only one click in future!
Read more… Free trial
(1) Change the D2 to the cell you entered the beginning number of invoice in above formulas, and change the CompanyName to the text you want to show in your invoice numbers.
(2) Enter one of above formulas into the cell you will get invoice number automatically, and press the Enter key.
6. Save current workbook:
A. In Excel 2013, click the File > Save (or Save As) > Computer> Browse;
B. In Excel 2007 and 2010, click the File / Office Button > Save (or Save As).
7. In the coming Save As dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Enter a name for this workbook in the File name box;
(2) Click the Save as type box and specify the Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) from drop down list;
(3) Click to open a folder where you will save this workbook;
(4) Click the Save button.
From now on, every time you open the workbook of Invoice Number Generator, the invoice number is 1 bigger than the last time you open the workbook. Please note that you must save the workbook before closing it every time.
You may notice that the first method requires you to get the invoice number only in a specified workbook. What’s worse, once you forget saving the specified workbook before closing, the invoice number will overlap. But with Kutools for Excel’s Insert Sequences Numbers feature, you can insert unique and consecutive invoice number no matter which workbook you are using.
1. Select the cell you will get invoice number, and then click the Kutools > Insert > Insert Sequence Number.
2. In the Insert Sequence Number dialog box, click the New button, and then in the expanding Sequence number editing area please do as follows (see above screenshot):
(1) In the Sequence name box enter a name for the new sequence name, such as Invoice Number.
(2) In the Increment box, enter 1;
(3) In the Prefix (optional) box, enter you company name or other text you will show at the begging of invoice number;
(4) In the Start Number box enter the beginning number of your invoice number, such as 10000 or 1;
(5) In the No. of digits box, specify the digits, such as 6;
(6) Click the Add button.
3. Keep the new created Sequence selected, and click the Fill Range button, and then click the Close button.
No matter in which workbook you apply this Insert Sequence Number feature, it will generate an invoice number that is 1 bigger than the last time you apply this feature. Click to know more about this Insert Sequence Number feature of Kutools for Excel
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!