How to keep formula cell reference constant in Excel?
When you use relative cell reference in a formula, it will automatically adjust when you use the Fill Handle to apply it to a different location or copy and paste it to another cells. See below screenshot shows.
In many cases, you would like the cell reference staying constant rather than adjusting automatically. In this tutorial, we will show you how to keep formula cell reference constant in Excel.
Keep formula cell reference constant with the F4 key
To keep cell reference constant in formula, you just need to add the $ symbol to the cell reference with pressing the F4 key. Please do as follows.
1. Select the cell with the formula you want to make it constant.
2. In the Formula Bar, put the cursor in the cell which you want to make it constant, then press the F4 key.
In this case, I don’t want the cell reference A1 to be adjusted with the formula moving, so I put the cursor on A1 in the formula, and then press F4. See screenshot:
Then you can see the cell reference A1 is constant in the formula.
Easily keep formula cell reference constant with several clicks only
Here highly recommend the Kutools for Excel's Convert Refers utility. This feature helps you easily convert all formula references in bulk in a selected range or multiple ranges to a specific type of formula reference. Such as convert relative to absolute, absolute to relative and so on.
Download Kutools for Excel Now! (
30-day free trail)
Let's see how to use this feature to easily keep formula cell reference constant in Excel.
1. After installing Kutools for Excel, please click Kutools > More > Convert Refers to activate the Convert Formula References feature.
2. When the Convert Formula References dialog box pops up, please configure as follows.
- Select a range or multiple ranges (hold on the Ctrl key to select multiple ranges one by one) you want to make the references constant;
- Choose the To absolute option;
- Click the OK button.
Then all the relative cell references in selected range are changed to constant references immediately.
If you want to have a free trial (
30-day) of this utility, please click to download it, and then go to apply the operation according above steps.
Demo: Keep formula cell reference constant with Kutools for Excel
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!