How to reference tab name in cell in Excel?
For referencing the current sheet tab name in a cell in Excel, you can get it done with a formula or User Define Function. This tutorial will guide you through as follows.
Reference the current sheet tab name in cell with formula
Reference the current sheet tab name in cell with User Define Function
Easily reference the current sheet tab name in cell with Kutools for Excel
Please do as follow to reference the active sheet tab name in a specific cell in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell, copy and paste the formula =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255) into the Formula Bar, and the press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Now the sheet tab name is referenced in the cell.
Easily insert tab name in a specific cell, header or footer in worksheet:
The Kutools for Excel's Insert Workbook Information utility helps easily insert active tab name into a specific cell. Besides, you can reference workbook name, workbook path, user name etc. into a cell, worksheet's header or footer as you need. Click for details.
Download Kutools for Excel Now! ( 30-day free trail)
Besides the above method, you can reference the sheet tab name in a cell with User Define Function.
1. Press Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module. See screenshot:
3. Copy and paste the below code into the Code window. And then press Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
VBA code: reference tab name
Function TabName() TabName = ActiveSheet.Name End Function
4. Go to the cell which you want to reference the current sheet tab name, please enter =TabName() and then press the Enter key. Then the current sheet tab name will be display in the cell.
With the Insert Workbook Information utility of Kutools for Excel, you can easily reference the sheet tab name in any cell you want. Please do as follows.
1. Click Kutools Plus > Workbook > Insert Workbook Information. See screenshot:
2. In the Insert Workbook Information dialog box, select Worksheet name in the Information section, and in the Insert at section, select the Range option, and then select a blank cell for locating the sheet name, and finally click the OK button.
You can see the current sheet name is referenced into the selected cell. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Download the free trial now!