How to count number of cells with nonzero values in Excel?
For counting total number of cells with nonzero values in Excel, here we will show you two methods. Please browse for more details.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel/Office
Supposing you have a range of data as below screenshot shown. For counting numbers of cells with nonzero values, please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell for locating the counting result (here I select cell H1). Copy and paste formula =COUNTIF(A1:E8,"<>0") into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
2. Then the total number of nonzero values of the selected range is counted and displayed in cell H1.
1. With the above formula, you may count the non-zero cells which including blank cells. If you want to ignoring both the zero cells and blank cells, please apply this formula: =COUNTA(A1:D10)-COUNTIF(A1:D10,"=0"), then press Enter key to get the result, see screenshot:
2. With above formulas, you can count the total number of cells with nonzero values in a row, column or range in Excel with changing the cell references in the formula.
Besides the formulas, the Select Specific Cells utility of Kutools for Excel can help you quickly count number of cells with nonzero values in Excel.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the range you want to count number of nonzero cells. Then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the popped up Select Specific Cells dialog box, select Cell in the Selection type section, specify Does not equal in the Specific type drop-down list, and enter number 0 into the blank box. Finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
3. Then a dialog box pops up to tell you how many nonzero value cells existing in the selected range. And it has excluded the blank cells directly already. Click the OK button, these cells are selected immediately.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...