How to count duplicates between two columns in Excel?
In Excel worksheet, for example, I have two columns which contains some names, and now I want to count number of the names that both appear in column A and column C as following screenshot shown, here, I will introduce some quick methods for you to solve this task in Excel.
The following formula may help you to get the number of names that both in Column A and Column C, please do as this:
Enter this formula into a blank cell, E2 for instance:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2:A13,C2:C13,0))))，and then press Enter key to get the result, see screenshot:
Note: In above formula, A2:A13 and C2:C13 are the two columns that you want to count the duplicate records. You can change the cell references to your need.
Sometimes, you not only want to count the matching cells in two columns but also want to identify the specific duplicates, in this case, the above formula may not help you to locate the duplicate names both in Column A and in Column C. Here, I can recommend you a powerful tool – Kutools for Excel, with its Select Same & Different Cells utility, you can quickly select the duplicate names.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do with following steps:
1. Click Kutools > Select > Select Same & Different Cells, see screenshot:
2. In the Select Same & Different Cells dialog box, do the following operations:
(1.) Click button to select the first and second data ranges that you want to compare under the Find values in and According to section separately;
(2.) Select Each row in the Based on section;
(3.) From the Find section, please choose Same Values;
(4.) And then you can specify a background or font color for your duplicate values as you need from the Processing of results section.
3. And then click Ok button, a prompt box will pop out to remind you how many cells which contain the duplicate names, and all the duplicate names in the both columns have been selected in Column A. See screenshot:
Note: If you want to select the duplicate names in Column C, you just need to swap Range A and Range B in the Compare Ranges dialog.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)