Countif cells start with or end with specific text with formula
Here I tell you some formulas to count cells which start with or end with a specific text in a specified range.
Suppose you have a list of data as below screenshot shown:
Select a cell which place the counting result, type this formula =COUNTIF($A$2:$A$10,"kte*"), then press Enter key to get the counting result.
1. If you want to count cells end with a specific text, for example, end with 123, then use the formula like this: =COUNTIF($A$2:$A$10,"*123"). The wildcard "*" indicates any characters or strings.
2. Above formulas can count cells that start or end with specified text easily in one range. however, if you need to count cells which stay in different ranges, you have to repeat applying the formulas for many times. In this case, let’s move to next method.
Count and select cells start with or end with specific text with Select Specific Cells
If you want to count and highlight the cells which start or end with a specific text, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Select Specific Cells utility.
1. Select the data range and click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the popping dialog, select Cell in the Selection type section, select Begins with or Ends with as you need from the list of Specific type, and type kte in next text box. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok and a dialog pops out to remind you the counting result, and click OK to select these cells.
If you want to select and count cells which start with “k” and end with “e” simultaneously, you can do as below:
1. Select data range and enable Select Specific Cells dialog, check And option, and select Begins with in first list, and type k in next box, and select Ends with in second list, and type e in the box. See screenshot:
2. Click Ok, and a dialog pops out to tell you the counting result and the cells are highlighted.
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.