How to undo all changes to get back the original data in Excel?
After modifying a worksheet, you may want to undo all changes to recover the original data of your worksheet. For Excel, it has the undo function to undo changes. But for undoing all changes you have done to the worksheet, it takes time to click the Undo button again and again. Actually, there are methods for you do quickly get back the original data after modifying the worksheet. Please browse this article for more details.
The original method for undoing changes in Excel is to use the Undo function. Please do as follows.
1. After modifying current worksheet, click the Undo button in the Quick Access Toolbar to undo the changes you have made to the worksheet.
Another method for quickly getting back the original data after modifying worksheet is to back up this sheet before modifying. With the following VBA code, you can easily back up the worksheet.
1. Stay in the worksheet and keep the original data you want to back up, then press Alt + F11 to open the Microsoft Visual Basic Application window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic Application window, click Insert > Module, and then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Module window.
VBA code: Back up worksheet
Sub CreateBackup() Dim xWs As Worksheet Dim xBackupWs As Worksheet Dim xName As String Set xWs = Application.ActiveSheet xName = xWs.Name xWs.Copy After:=Sheets(Application.Worksheets.Count) Set xBackupWs = Application.ActiveSheet xBackupWs.Name = "backup" xWs.Activate End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run the code, then a worksheet named backup is created with exactly the same content with the specified worksheet.
Do you want to restore to the original data with just one click? With the Snap utility of Kutools for Excel, you can take a snapshot of current worksheet before modifying, and then get back the original data with one click.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Before modifying the worksheet, Click Kutools > Snap > Track Snap. See screenshot:
2. In the Track Snap dialog box, click the OK button.
When you need to undo all changes and get back the original data of the worksheet, just click the snapshot you took to restore it.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 months agoI done some changes in Excel and saved it and closed the file but I want old data I want to undo all changes what should I do it's very necessary to me to get the ol data plz suggest me
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoSince when can I undo changes in Excel after hitting Save button?
As my memory serves, since recently it is possible to undo changes even after hitting Save, which is a concern as this was my way of releasing cache memory while working on large files. Also, I risk adding attachments that do not show the latest work available.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHow do I undo changes in Excel after hitting save button
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI found out by, by mistake, hitting the undo button in Excel 2010. After pressing save then hitting undo it would still restore previous version. In my case, not convenient as it meant no cache was released and I can't be fully certain that on close, I save all intended modifications to the file.