How to replace multiple spaces with single space from cells in Excel?
Supposing I have a list of text strings which contains multiple spaces, now, I need to replace these spaces with a single space among the text strings to separate the words as following screenshot shown. How could I replace the multiple spaces with single one at once without remove them one by one?
Replace multiple spaces with single space by using formula
In Excel, the normal Find and Replace feature may not work well for us to solve this problem, so we, can apply a simple formula to deal with it. Please do as this:
1. Enter this formula: =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(32)," ")) into a blank cell besides your cell value, see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key to get the result, and select cell B2, then drag the fill handle over to the range cells that you want to apply this formula, and all the extra spaces have been removed from the text strings and only one single space will be kept among the text. See screenshot:
Replace multiple spaces with single space by using VBA code
If you are interested in the VBA code, I can create a code for you to replace multiple spaces with single one, please do as follows:
1. Please hold down ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Then click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Replace multiple spaces with singe space
Dim x As Range
Dim Workx As Range
On Error Resume Next
xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel"
Set Workx = Application.Selection
Set Workx = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, Workx.Address, Type:=8)
For Each x In Workx
x = WorksheetFunction.Trim(x)
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you selecting the data range that you want to remove the extra spaces, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK button, all excess spaces have been replaced with single space among the text.
Replace multiple spaces with single space by using Kutools for Excel
If you have other types of spaces need to be removed, such as removing the leading spaces, trailing spaces, all spaces of the text, I will recommend a powerful tool --Kutools for Excel, with its Remove Spaces utility, you can remove any spaces as you need, such as leading space, trailing spaces, all spaces...
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
I should have checked the Microsoft Doco: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/TRIM-function-410388fa-c5df-49c6-b16c-9e5630b479f9 ".....The TRIM function was designed to trim the 7-bit ASCII space character (value 32) from text. In the Unicode character set, there is an additional space character ....." etc - hence the need to make sure the TRIM is working on Char 32 for any spaces...