How to replace multiple spaces with single space from cells in Excel?
Supposing I have a list of text strings which contains multiple spaces, now, I need to replace these spaces with a single space among the text strings to separate the words as following screenshot shown. How could I replace the multiple spaces with single one at once without remove them one by one?
In Excel, the normal Find and Replace feature may not work well for us to solve this problem, so we, can apply a simple formula to deal with it. Please do as this:
1. Enter this formula: =TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(32)," ")) into a blank cell besides your cell value, see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key to get the result, and select cell B2, then drag the fill handle over to the range cells that you want to apply this formula, and all the extra spaces have been removed from the text strings and only one single space will be kept among the text. See screenshot:
If you are interested in the VBA code, I can create a code for you to replace multiple spaces with single one, please do as follows:
1. Please hold down ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Then click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Replace multiple spaces with singe space
Sub replace_multiplespaces() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim x As Range Dim Workx As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set Workx = Application.Selection Set Workx = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, Workx.Address, Type:=8) For Each x In Workx x = WorksheetFunction.Trim(x) Next x End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you selecting the data range that you want to remove the extra spaces, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK button, all excess spaces have been replaced with single space among the text.
If you have other types of spaces need to be removed, such as removing the leading spaces, trailing spaces, all spaces of the text, I will recommend a powerful tool --Kutools for Excel, with its Remove Spaces utility, you can remove any spaces as you need, such as leading space, trailing spaces, all spaces...
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to remove the extra spaces.
2. Click Kutools > Text > Remove Spaces, see screenshot:
3. In the Remove Spaces dialog box, choose All excess spaces from the Spaces Type section, and you can view the result from the Preview pane, see screenshot:
4. And then click Ok or Apply button, all extra spaces have been removed from the cell and only leave a single space among the text.