How to insert brackets around text in a cell?
For certain purpose, may be sometimes, you need to insert brackets around the text within a cell to enclose the cell value. It is easy for you to insert brackets into a few cells, but, if there are lots of cells needed to be surrounded with brackets, how could you deal with the problem quickly and conveniently in Excel?
The following simple formula may help you to add the brackets around the text within a cell, please do as follows:
1. Please enter this formula ="("&A2&")" into a blank cell besides your data, C2, for instance, see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key to get the result, and then select the cell C2, drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, all the cell values have been inserted with the brackets around, see screenshot:
If you are familiar with the VBA code, I can create a VBA code for you to sole this task.
1. Hold down ALT + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Insert brackets around text in a cell
Sub addbrackets() 'Updateby20150706 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) For Each Rng In WorkRng Rng.Value = "(" & Rng.Value & ")" Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to execute this code, a prompt box is popped out to remind you selecting the data range that you want to add the brackets, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK, all the selected cells have been inserted brackets around at once.
If you are interested in other handy add-ins for Excel, Kutools for Excel may do you a favor, with its Add Text function, you can quickly add any characters into the cell contents at any position.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to insert brackets.
2. Click Kutools > Text > Add Text, see screenshot:
3. In the Add Text dialog box, enter the half opening bracket “(” into the Text box, and then select Before first character under the Position, then click Apply button, see screenshot:
4. The half opening brackets have been inserted before each selected text value, and the dialog box is still opened, go on entering the half closing bracket “)” into the Text box, and select the After last character option, then click Ok button, see screenshot:
5. And the brackets have been inserted into the cell values.
With this Add Text feature, you can also insert the brackets into any position of the cell contents. For Example, I want to insert the brackets around the text after the fourth character of the cell, please do as follows:
1. In the Add Text dialog box, please type the half opening bracket “(” into the Text box, and choose Specify option, then enter the specific number of the position that you want to insert the bracket, and then click Apply button to finish this step, see screenshot:
2. Then insert the half closing bracket “)”into the Text box, and choose After last character option, and now, you can preview the results, in the right list box, see screenshot:
3. At last, click Ok button to close this dialog, and the brackets have been inserted around the text at specific position as you need.
Tips: If you check Skip non-text cells option in the dialog, the adding text won’t be inserted into the non-text cells.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!