How to compare two columns and list differences in Excel?
Compare two columns and list the different values:
With Kutools for Excel's Select Same & Different Cells feature, you can quickly compare two columns to find and select all the different values from one list, and then copy and paste the unique values to any other cells. Click to download and free trial Kutools for Excel now!
To list only the unique values from the two lists separately, you can apply the following formulas:
1. Please enter this formula into cell D2: =IF((ISERROR(MATCH(A2,$B$2:$B$14,0))),A2,""), (A2 is the first cell within the Column A that you want to compare with Column B, and range $B$2:$B$14 indicates another column that you want to be compared with) and then press Enter key, see screenshot:
2. Then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and all the unique names which are only in Column A have been listed at once, see screenshot:
3. And then go on enter this formula: =IF((ISERROR(MATCH(B2,$A$2:$A$15,0))),B2,"") into cell E2, and press Enter key, see screenshot:
4. Then select the cell E2, and drag the fill handle over to the cells that you want to contain this formula, and then all names only in Column B have been extracted as follows:
Now all the unique names in both columns are list.
If you are not interested in the formulas, here, I can recommend you a useful tool-Kutools for Excel, with its Select Same & Different Cells utility, you can quickly find, shade or select the duplicates or unique values from two ranges.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. |
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools > Select > Select Same & Different Cells, see screenshot:
2. In the Select Same & Different Cells dialog box, do the following operations:
A: Click button under the Find values in: (Range A) section to select the names in Column A that you want to extract the different names, and click button under the According to: (Range B) section to select the names in Column B that you want to be compared;
B: Select Each row under the Based on section;
C: Then choose Different Values from the Find section;
D: If you want to shade the different names, you can check the Fill backcolor or Fill forecolor under the Processing of results.
3. Then click OK button, all the names only in Column A have been selected, then you can copy and paste them into any other cells you need, see screenshots:
4. To list the names only in Column B, you just need to exchange the Find values in cells and According to cells in the dialog box, see screenshot:
5. And all the different names only in Column B have been selected, then copy and paste them into any other cells you need, see screenshots:
Click to know more details about this Compare Ranges feature.
Download and free trial Kutools for Excel Now !
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!