How to add / insert certain character every x characters into cells?
Supposing, I have a list of text strings that I want to insert dashes or any other separators after every four characters into cells to get the following screenshot result. There are too many cells needed to insert the certain character, are there any quick ways to insert dashes every four character in Excel?
Add specific character before / after / certain position of the text string:
Kutools for Excel’s Add Text utility can help you to add specific character or letter before or after all cells, at the same time it also can insert the character among the certain position of the text strings.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days. Download and free trial Now!
You can apply the following VBA code to insert a specific character after every four characters into cells, please do as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Insert certain character every x characters into cell
Sub InsertCharacter() 'Updateby20150813 Dim Rng As Range Dim InputRng As Range, OutRng As Range Dim xRow As Integer Dim xChar As String Dim index As Integer Dim arr As Variant Dim xValue As String Dim outValue As String Dim xNum As Integer xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set InputRng = Application.Selection Set InputRng = Application.InputBox("Range :", xTitleId, InputRng.Address, Type:=8) xRow = Application.InputBox("Number of characters :", xTitleId, Type:=1) xChar = Application.InputBox("Specify a character :", xTitleId, Type:=2) Set OutRng = Application.InputBox("Out put to (single cell):", xTitleId, Type:=8) Set OutRng = OutRng.Range("A1") xNum = 1 For Each Rng In InputRng xValue = Rng.Value outValue = "" For index = 1 To VBA.Len(xValue) If index Mod xRow = 0 And index <> VBA.Len(xValue) Then outValue = outValue + VBA.Mid(xValue, index, 1) + xChar Else outValue = outValue + VBA.Mid(xValue, index, 1) End If Next OutRng.Cells(xNum, 1).Value = outValue xNum = xNum + 1 Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you to select the data range that you want to insert certain character within the text strings, see screenshot:
4. And click OK, in the following prompt box, please enter the number that you want to insert certain character every after, see screenshot:
5. Go on clicking OK, and in the followed prompt box, please enter the certain character that you want to add to the text, see screenshot:
6. Click OK button, and choose one cell where you want to output the result in the prompt box, see screenshot:
7. At last, click OK, the certain character has been inserted into each text string every four characters, see screenshot:
The above code maybe somewhat difficult for most Excel beginner, here, I can introduce a handy tool -- Kutools for Excel, with its Add Text feature, you can quickly add a specific text or character before, after or the certain positions of the cell value.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to insert a specific character.
2. Then click Kutools > Text > Add Text, see screenshot:
3. In the Add Text dialog box, specify a character that you want to insert in the Text box, and then choose Specify from the Position section, in the text box, enter the positions that you want to insert the character after, at the same time, you can preview the result at the right pane, see screenshot:
Tips: Here I type 4,8,12 in the textbox of Specify which indicate to insert the specific text after the 4th, 8th and 12th characters of the text string.
4. Then click Ok or Apply button, the specified character has been inserted into the cell values at specific positions.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoMuy buena esta macro, una pregunta curiosa al momento de ejecutarla los caracteres los aplica de izquierda a derecha, puede cambiarse ese orden que de derecha a izquierda? En caso de ser posible como es el proceso? Gracias.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agobuenas noches
necesito que me coloque el caracter cada 6, 7, 8 de un solo clic como le modifico para poder colocar mas criterios