How to find beginning/start of week by any given date in Excel?
For example, you have a date of 3/4/2015, and you need to find out the beginning/start of week by this date in Excel. How to solve it quickly? This article will introduce two solutions:
- Find beginning/start of week by a given date with formulas
- Find beginning/start of week by a given date with Kutools for Excel
This method will introduce some formulas to find the beginning/start of week by any given date in Excel easily.
Select a blank cell where you will return the beginning of week, and enter the formula =A2-WEEKDAY(A2,2)+1 (A2 is the cell with given date) into it, and drag the Fill Handle to the range as you need. See screenshots:
Note: This formula =A2-WEEKDAY(A2,2)+1 will return Monday as the beginning of week based on the given date.
Formulas: =A2-MOD(A2-2,7) or =A2-MOD(A2-1,7)
Select a blank cell you will return the beginning of week, and enter the formula =A2-MOD(A2-2,7) (A2 is the cell with given date) into it, and then drag the Fill Handle to the range as you need. See screenshots:
(1) This formula =A2-MOD(A2-2,7) will return Monday as the beginning of week based on the given date. For returning Sunday as the start of a week, please apply this formula =A2-MOD(A2-1,7).
(2) If returned Monday or Sunday doesn’t show as date, please keep selecting the dates and click the Home > Number Format drop down list > Short Date. See screenshot:
Normally we can find out the beginning/start of week based on the given date in Calendar easily. Kutools for Excel’s Insert Date utility prepares such a calendar for finding and inserting dates easily.
1. Click the Kutools > Insert > Insert Date to open the Insert Date dialog box. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Insert Date dialog box, find out the given date in the Calendar, and then you will see the beginning of this week (both Sunday and Monday) as below screenshot shown.
Select a blank cell in current sheet, and double click the found Monday or Sunday to insert into the cell.
Note: This utility supports inserting dates with special date formatting: Check the Using format option, click to highlight a date formatting in right pane, and then double click the found Monday or Sunday.
3. Close the Insert Date dialog box.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!