How to clear the contents of multiple merged cells in Excel?
If you have a large worksheet which contains multiple merged cells, and now, you want to clear all the contents of the merged cells but keep the merged cells. Normally, you may try to apply the Find and Replace function to select all merged cells first, and then press Delete key to delete the value, however, you will get a warning message "We can’t do that to a merged cell". In this case, how do you clear the values in merged cells but leave the merged cells quickly in Excel?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
This section, I can create a VBA code for you to solve this task, please do as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA: Clear the contents of multiple merged cells
Sub ClearMerged() 'updateby Extendoffice 20150914 Dim Rg As Range, Rg1 As Range Dim xAddress As String On Error Resume Next xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set Rg = Application.InputBox("Please select the range of cells:", "Kutools for Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8) If Rg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub For Each Rg1 In Rg If Rg1.MergeCells Then Rg1.MergeArea.ClearContents Next End Sub
3. Then Press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select the range that you want to clear the merged cells, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK, the contents in the merged cells have been cleared at once and leave the blank merged cells, see screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Select Merged Cells utility, you can select all merged cells in a selection with one click, and then delete them at once.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now )
1. Select the range of cells which contains the merged cells you want to clear the contents.
2. Click Kutools > Select > Select Merged Cells, see screenshot:
3. And all the merged cells have been selected immediately, see screenshot:
4. Then press Delete key on the keyboard, and all the values in the merged cells have been selected but leave the merged cells as you need.