How to clear the contents of multiple merged cells in Excel?
If you have a large worksheet which contains multiple merged cells, and now, you want to clear all the contents of the merged cells but keep the merged cells. Normally, you may try to apply the Find and Replace function to select all merged cells first, and then press Delete key to delete the value, however, you will get a warning message "We can’t do that to a merged cell". In this case, how do you clear the values in merged cells but leave the merged cells quickly in Excel?
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
This section, I can create a VBA code for you to solve this task, please do as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA: Clear the contents of multiple merged cells
Sub ClearMerged() 'updateby Extendoffice 20150914 Dim Rg As Range, Rg1 As Range Dim xAddress As String On Error Resume Next xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set Rg = Application.InputBox("Please select the range of cells:", "Kutools for Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8) If Rg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub For Each Rg1 In Rg If Rg1.MergeCells Then Rg1.MergeArea.ClearContents Next End Sub
3. Then Press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select the range that you want to clear the merged cells, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK, the contents in the merged cells have been cleared at once and leave the blank merged cells, see screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Select Merged Cells utility, you can select all merged cells in a selection with one click, and then delete them at once.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Free Download Kutools for Excel Now )
1. Select the range of cells which contains the merged cells you want to clear the contents.
2. Click Kutools > Select > Select Merged Cells, see screenshot:
3. And all the merged cells have been selected immediately, see screenshot:
4. Then press Delete key on the keyboard, and all the values in the merged cells have been selected but leave the merged cells as you need.