How to remove duplicate rows and keep highest values only in Excel?
For example you have a purchase table in Excel as the first screenshot shown. Now you need to remove duplicate rows based on the Fruit column, and keep highest values of corresponding fruits in the Amount column as the second screenshot shown. Any solution can you think of? This article will share two tricks to solve it.
Supposing you have a table as below screenshot shown. And this method will introduce a VBA macro to remove duplicate rows based on a certain column and keep highest values only in another column in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code into new opening Module window.
VBA: Remove duplicate rows and keep highest values
Public Sub DelDupes() Dim xFilterRg As Range Dim xCriteriaRg As Range Dim xAddress As String Dim xSUpdate As Boolean On Error Resume Next xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set xFilterRg = Application.InputBox("Please select a range:", "Kutools for Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8) If xFilterRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Set xFilterRg = Application.Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, xFilterRg) If xFilterRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo 0 xSUpdate = Application.ScreenUpdating Application.ScreenUpdating = False Set xCriteriaRg = ActiveSheet.Cells(1, xFilterRg.Column + xFilterRg.Columns.Count).Resize(2) xCriteriaRg.Resize(1).Offset(1).Formula = "=COUNTIF(" & xFilterRg(2, 1).Address & ":" & _ xFilterRg(2, 1).Address(False, False) & "," & _ xFilterRg(2, 1).Address(False, False) & ")>1" With xFilterRg .Sort key1:=xFilterRg.Cells(1, 1).Offset(0, 1), order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlYes .AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterInPlace, CriteriaRange:=xCriteriaRg .Offset(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete .Parent.ShowAllData End With xCriteriaRg.Clear Application.ScreenUpdating = xSUpdate End Sub
3. Press the F5 key or click the Run button to run this VBA.
4. Now a dialog box comes out. Please select the columns you will remove duplicates rows by and reserve highest values in, and click the OK button.
In our case, we will remove duplicate rows by Fruit Column and keep highest values in Amount Column, therefore I select the Fruit column and Amount column as above screenshot shown.
Then you will see duplicate rows are removed based on the Fruit column, and highest values of corresponding fruits are kept in the Amount column. See screenshot:
(1) The specified range must begin with the column you will remove duplicated rows by.
(2) This VBA can only keep the highest values in the column just behind the column you removed duplicates rows by.
(3) This VBA does not work in Microsoft Excel 2007.
The above VBA may be not easy enough for some users, and it can only keep highest values in column behind criteria column. But Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Combine Rows utility will help you easily solve this problem easily.
1. Select the table you will remove duplicate rows and keep highest values (select A1:C24 in our case), and click Kutools > Content > Advanced Combine Rows.
2. In the opening Combine Rows Based on Column dialog box, please configure as follows:
(1) Select Fruit column (which you will remove duplicates rows by), and then click the Primary Key button;
(2) Select the Amount column (Which you will keep highest values in), and then click Calculate > Max.
(3) Specify combination rules for other columns as you need.
3. Click the Ok button. And then you will see all duplicate rows are removed based on the Fruit Column and only max values of corresponding fruits are kept in Amount column. See screenshot:
The Advanced Combine Rows utility of Kutools for Excel can easily combine rows by one column, and then calculate other columns based on this columns as well, such as Sum, Count, Max, Min, Product, etc. Click for 60-day free trial, no limitation!
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!