How to remove duplicate rows and keep highest values only in Excel?
For example you have a purchase table in Excel as the first screenshot shown. Now you need to remove duplicate rows based on the Fruit column, and keep highest values of corresponding fruits in the Amount column as the second screenshot shown. Any solution can you think of? This article will share two tricks to solve it.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Supposing you have a table as below screenshot shown. And this method will introduce a VBA macro to remove duplicate rows based on a certain column and keep highest values only in another column in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code into new opening Module window.
VBA: Remove duplicate rows and keep highest values
Public Sub DelDupes() Dim xFilterRg As Range Dim xCriteriaRg As Range Dim xAddress As String Dim xSUpdate As Boolean On Error Resume Next xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set xFilterRg = Application.InputBox("Please select a range:", "Kutools for Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8) If xFilterRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Set xFilterRg = Application.Intersect(ActiveSheet.UsedRange, xFilterRg) If xFilterRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo 0 xSUpdate = Application.ScreenUpdating Application.ScreenUpdating = False Set xCriteriaRg = ActiveSheet.Cells(1, xFilterRg.Column + xFilterRg.Columns.Count).Resize(2) xCriteriaRg.Resize(1).Offset(1).Formula = "=COUNTIF(" & xFilterRg(2, 1).Address & ":" & _ xFilterRg(2, 1).Address(False, False) & "," & _ xFilterRg(2, 1).Address(False, False) & ")>1" With xFilterRg .Sort key1:=xFilterRg.Cells(1, 1).Offset(0, 1), order1:=xlDescending, Header:=xlYes .AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterInPlace, CriteriaRange:=xCriteriaRg .Offset(1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete .Parent.ShowAllData End With xCriteriaRg.Clear Application.ScreenUpdating = xSUpdate End Sub
3. Press the F5 key or click the Run button to run this VBA.
4. Now a dialog box comes out. Please select the columns you will remove duplicates rows by and reserve highest values in, and click the OK button.
In our case, we will remove duplicate rows by Fruit Column and keep highest values in Amount Column, therefore I select the Fruit column and Amount column as above screenshot shown.
Then you will see duplicate rows are removed based on the Fruit column, and highest values of corresponding fruits are kept in the Amount column. See screenshot:
(1) The specified range must begin with the column you will remove duplicated rows by.
(2) This VBA can only keep the highest values in the column just behind the column you removed duplicates rows by.
(3) This VBA does not work in Microsoft Excel 2007.
The above VBA may be not easy enough for some users, and it can only keep highest values in column behind criteria column. But Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Combine Rows utility will help you easily solve this problem easily.
1. Select the table you will remove duplicate rows and keep highest values (select A1:C24 in our case), and click Kutools > Content > Advanced Combine Rows.
2. In the opening Combine Rows Based on Column dialog box, please configure as follows:
(1) Select Fruit column (which you will remove duplicates rows by), and then click the Primary Key button;
(2) Select the Amount column (Which you will keep highest values in), and then click Calculate > Max.
(3) Specify combination rules for other columns as you need.
3. Click the Ok button. And then you will see all duplicate rows are removed based on the Fruit Column and only max values of corresponding fruits are kept in Amount column. See screenshot:
The Advanced Combine Rows utility of Kutools for Excel can easily combine rows by one column, and then calculate other columns based on this columns as well, such as Sum, Count, Max, Min, Product, etc. Click for 60-day free trial, no limitation!
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 months agoin VBA example, the date column doesn't filter. please advise.