How to delete active workbook (current file) in Excel?
Let’s say you downloaded a workbook from a website and the workbook opened automatically. However, the workbook may be not the proper one, or the workbook doesn’t contain required information, and you want to delete it. Sometimes, you probably forget the default directory that downloaded files are automatically saved into. Don’t worry, we can delete the opening/active workbook without closing it directly in Excel.
This method will introduce a VBA to delete opening/active workbook without closing it in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, copy the following VBA code and paste into opening module window.
VBA: Delete Active Workbook without closing it in Excel
Sub DeleteActiveWorkbook() Dim xFullName As String xFullName = Application.ActiveWorkbook.FullName ActiveWorkbook.Saved = True Application.ActiveWorkbook.ChangeFileAccess xlReadOnly Kill xFullName Application.ActiveWorkbook.Close False End Sub
3. Press the F5 key or Run button to run this VBA.
(1) This VBA can delete active workbook, but can’t close Excel window. If there are no workbooks opening after active workbook deleted, please close the Excel window manually.
(2) If active workbook has never been saved before, this VBA is not able to delete it. However, you can delete this unsaved workbook directly by closing it.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!