How to count how many cells contain certain text or value in Excel?
Sometimes, you may need to count number of cells which contain certain text or value in a range. In this article, we will show you methods of counting how many cells contain certain text or value in Excel with details.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can count number of cells which contain certain text or value with formula as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula =COUNTIF($B$2:$B$20,"text or number") into the formula bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Note: In this formula, please change the cell reference based on your range, and change the text or number to the certain text or number you need to count. In this case, we count cells contain number 50 in range A1:D8.
Then you will get the result as above screenshot shown.
After free installing Kutools for Excel , the Select Specific Cells utility will help you easily count number of cells contain certain text or number, and selected these cells immediately.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the range with the text or value cells you want to count, and then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells.
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, select Cell option in the Selection type section, and in the Specific type section, select Contains in the first drop-down list, type the certain text or number into the following textbox, and finally click the OK button.
3. Then you will get a dialog box which displays the number of cells with specific text or value, click the OK button, and all these cells are selected immediately. See screenshot:
Note: This utility can count and select cell with multiple criteria. See screenshot: