How to break or split number into individual digits in Excel?
Supposing you need to break or split number into individual digits as below screenshot shown, what can you do to achieve it? This article will provide two methods for you.
This section will show a formula to split selected number cells into individual digits in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell (says cell C1) for locating the first split digit of number in cell A1, then enter formula =MID($A1,COLUMN()-(COLUMN($C1)- 1),1) into the formula bar, and then press the Enter key.
Note: In the formula, A1 is the cell with number you need to split to digits, and C1 is the cell for locating the first split digit. Please change them as you need.
2. Keep selecting cell C1, then drag the Fill Handle to the right cells until all digits of cell A1 are split out.
3. Keep these split digit cells selected, and drag the Fill Handle down to the cells until all numbers are split into separated digits. See screenshot:
The Split Cells utility of Kutools for Excel helps you easily split all selected number cells into individual digits at once. Please do as follows.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select cells with number you need to split into digits, then click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Split Cells dialog box, please select Split to Columns option in the Type section, and in the Specify a separator section, select Specify width and enter number 1 into the textbox. Click the OK button.
3. In the next popping up Split Cells dialog box, please specify a blank cell for locating the first split digit, and then click the OK button.
After clicking the OK button, all numbers in selected cells are split into separated digits immediately as below screenshot shown.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!