How to count all cells except a specific value in Excel?
If you have the word “Apple” scattered among a list of values, now, you just want to count the number of cells which are not “Apple” to get the following result. In this article, I will introduce some methods to solve this task in Excel.
In fact, the Countif function can help you to count all cells but a specific word. Please do as follows:
Enter this formula: =COUNTIF(A1:A16,"<>Apple") into a blank cell where you want to output the result, and press Enter key to display the calculation, see screenshot:
Tips: In the above formula: A2:A16 is the cells range that you want to count, and Apple is the specific word you need to exclude. Please change them to your need.
Kutools for Excel’s Select Specific cells utility can help you to select and count the cells ignoring a specific word as quickly as you can.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Get it Now .|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:( Download and free trial Kutools for Excel Now! )
1. Select the cells that you want to count.
2. Then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, select Cell under the Selection type, then choose Does not equal from the Specific type drop down list, and enter the text to exclude when counting, see screenshot:
4. Then click Ok or Apply, all cells except the specific word you typed in the textbox are selected and counted as following screenshot shown:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!