How to trace precedents or dependents for a range of / multiple cells in Excel?
In Excel, we can trace the precedents or dependents of cells with the build-in feature in Excel by clicking cells one by one. But, if there are hundreds of cells that you want to trace the precedents or dependents at the same time, how could you deal with this task quickly and easily in Excel?
To trace precedents for multiple cells, the following steps can help you:
1. Enter equal sign = into a blank cell, and then click top left corner of the worksheet to select the whole sheet, see screenshot:
2. Then press Enter key, and a warning message will pop out, see screenshot:
3. And click OK button to close it, and a 0 is displayed into the cell, select it, then click Formulas and click Trace Precedents twice, all the precedents of the corresponding cells have been traced at once, see screenshot:
4. At last, you can delete the helper formula as you need.
To trace the dependents for multiple cells, the following VBA code can help you, please do as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Trace dependents for a range of cells:
Sub TraceDependents() 'updateby Extendoffice Dim xRg As Range Dim xCell As Range Dim xTxt As String On Error Resume Next xTxt = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set xRg = Application.InputBox("Please select the data range:", "Kutools for Excel", xTxt, , , , , 8) Set xRg = Application.Union(xRg, ActiveSheet.UsedRange) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub For Each xCell In xRg xCell.ShowDependents Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to remind you select the range that you want to use, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK button, all the dependent cells are traced at once, see screenshot:
To be painful with above methods, here, I will introduce a handy tool-Kutools for Excel, with its Monitor Precedents of Ranges and Monitor Dependents of Ranges utilities, you can solve this task quickly and easily.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to trace the precedents or dependents.
2. Then click Kutools > More > Monitor Precedents of Ranges / Monitor Dependents of Ranges, see screenshot:
3. Tracing the precedent cells, select Monitor Precedents of Ranges to get the following result:
Tracing the dependent cells, please select Monitor Dependents of Ranges to get the following result:
1. This feature is dynamic, it will be changed as your selection.
2. You can also apply this feature by clicking Kutools Plus > Worksheet Design, under the Design tab, click Monitor Precedents and Dependents.
3. You just need to click the utility again to disable the tracing.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!