How to remove all HTML tags from string in Excel?
If you have a worksheet contains text strings which are surrounded with the HTML tags, now, you want to remove all of the HTML tags from the strings to make the cells clearly and more readable as following screenshots shown. This article, I will introduce some methods to deal with this task in Excel.
In fact, the Find and Replace function in Excel may solve this problem, please do as follows:
1. Select the cells that you want to remove the HTML tags.
2. Hold Ctrl + H keys to open the Find and Replace dialog box, in the dialog, in the Find what text box, type <*>, and leave the Replace with text box blank, see screenshot:
3. Then click Replace All button, all the HTML tags are removed at once.
The following VBA code can help you to remove the HTML tags from a selection, please do as follows:
1. Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following VBA code in the Module Window.
VBA code: remove all HTML tags from text string
Sub RemoveTags() 'updateby Extendoffice 20160202 Dim xRg As Range Dim xCell As Range Dim xAddress As String On Error Resume Next xAddress = Application.ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address Set xRg = Application.InputBox("please select data range", "Kutools for Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8) Set xRg = Application.Intersect(xRg, xRg.Worksheet.UsedRange) If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub xRg.NumberFormat = "@" With CreateObject("vbscript.regexp") .Pattern = "\<.*?\>" .Global = True For Each xCell In xRg xCell.Value = .Replace(xCell.Value, "") Next End With End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, in the popped out dialog, please select the cells that you want to remove the HTML tags, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK, all the HTML tags have been removed from the selection at once.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI have some text that is in bullet points, when i run this program it strips this out. how can i select which html tags to remove and which to keep?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoxAddress is never used
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThank you .. The VBA instructions worked!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThank you! I was able to clean up a large excel file with VBA with your simple instructions
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThank you for the code to remove all HTML tags from text string using VBA. I am going to pass your site along to my co-workers.