How to sort numbers by first digit in Excel?
Normally, in Excel, the Sort function may help you to sort the numbers in ascending or descending order. But, sometimes, you need to sort the numbers by the first digit as following screenshot shown. This article, I will talk about some tricks for solving this problem.
Sort numbers by first digit with helper column
There is no direct way for you to sort the numbers by first digit, you need to apply a formula in a helper column, and then sort the numbers by this helper column, please do as follows:
1. Beside the data column, in the helper column B, please enter this formula: =TEXT(A2,0), and then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, see screenshot:
2. Both select the two columns and click Data > Sort, in the Sort dialog box, choose the helper column you created from the Column section, and then select Values from the Sort on drop down list, at last specify the sort order, see screenshot:
3. Then click OK button, in the Sort Warning box, please select Sort numbers and numbers stored as text separately option, see screenshot:
4. And click OK, the numbers have been sorted by the first digit as following screenshot shown:
5. At last, you can delete the helper column B as you need.
Sort numbers by first digit with Kutools for Excel quickly and easily
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, with its Advanced Sort function, this job will be solved as quickly as possible.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the number column that you want to sort by first digit, then click Enterprise > Advanced Sort, see screenshot:
2. In the Advanced Sort dialog box, choose the column that you want to sort, and select Values under the Sort On section, then specify the sort order as you need, see screenshot:
3. Then click Ok, and the numbers have been sorted by the first digit as you need, see screenshots:
Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!