How to identify or highlight expired or upcoming dates in Excel?
For some supermarkets or sale departments, the items which have been expired need to be removed from the shelf, and the items which will expire in upcoming date need to be sold as quickly as possible. But how to quickly identify the expired or upcoming date items must be a big problem for them.
Highlight expired or upcoming date with Conditional Formatting
To apply Conditional Formatting to highlight the expired or upcoming dates, please follow these steps:
1. Select the due date cells, and then click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule. See screenshot:
2. Then in the New Formatting Rule dialog, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format under Select a Rule Type section, then enter this formula = B2<=TODAY() (B2 is the first cell in the selected dates) to the Format values where this formula is true textbox, you can change it to meet your need), and then click Format. See screenshot:
3. In the popping Format Cells dialog, under Fill tab, select one background color as you need to highlight the expired dates. See screenshot:
4. Click OK > OK, now the expired dates have been highlighted, and you can find the relative items. See screenshot:
1. “Today” is the current date, and in our case Today is 4/27/2016.
2. If you want to find the upcoming date, for instance, to find the items which will be expired in 90 days, you can use this formula =AND($B2>TODAY(), $B2-TODAY()<=90) in the Format values where this formula is true textbox. See screenshots:
Identify and highlight expired or upcoming date with Kutools for Excel
Here I introduce a handy tool – Kutools for Excel for you, its Select Specific Cells also can help you quickly identify and highlight the expired or upcoming expire dates.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select blank cell, E2 for instance and enter this formula =TODAY() into it and press Enter key to get the current date. See screenshot:
2. Then select the date cells that you want to identify the expired dates, and click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
3. In the Select Specific Cells dialog, check Cell or Entire row as your need under Selection type, and select Less than or equal to from the first list of Specific type, and then click the next button to select today date to it. See screenshot:
4. Click Ok, a dialog pops out to tell you the number of cells meeting the specified criteria, and at the same time, all the dates less than or equal to today have been selected.
5. And if you want to highlight the selected cells, you just need to click Home, and go to Fill Color to select a color to highlight them. See screenshot:
Tip: If you want to identify the upcoming expired items, you just need to enter this formula =TODAY() and =TODAY()+90 into two blank cells to get the current date and the date after 90 days from today. And then specify the criteria of Greater than or equal to Today and Less than or equal to Today + 90 Days in the Select Specific Cells dialog. See screenshot:
Now the dates will be expired in upcoming 90 days have been selected. See screenshot:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!