How to identify or highlight expired or upcoming dates in Excel?
For some supermarkets or sale departments, the items which have been expired need to be removed from the shelf, and the items which will expire in upcoming date need to be sold as quickly as possible. But how to quickly identify the expired or upcoming date items must be a big problem for them.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save
70% of your time and solve
80% Excel problems for you.
300+ advanced features designed for
1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
Highlight expired or upcoming date with Conditional Formatting
To apply Conditional Formatting to highlight the expired or upcoming dates, please follow these steps:
1. Select the due date cells, and then click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule. See screenshot:
2. Then in the New Formatting Rule dialog, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format under Select a Rule Type section, then enter this formula = B2<=TODAY() (B2 is the first cell in the selected dates) to the Format values where this formula is true textbox, you can change it to meet your need), and then click Format. See screenshot:
3. In the popping Format Cells dialog, under Fill tab, select one background color as you need to highlight the expired dates. See screenshot:
4. Click OK > OK, now the expired dates have been highlighted, and you can find the relative items. See screenshot:
1. “Today” is the current date, and in our case Today is 4/27/2016.
2. If you want to find the upcoming date, for instance, to find the items which will be expired in 90 days, you can use this formula =AND($B2>TODAY(), $B2-TODAY()<=90) in the Format values where this formula is true textbox. See screenshots:
Identify and highlight expired or upcoming date with Kutools for Excel
Here I introduce a handy tool – Kutools for Excel for you, its Select Specific Cells also can help you quickly identify and highlight the expired or upcoming expire dates.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select blank cell, E2 for instance and enter this formula =TODAY() into it and press Enter key to get the current date. See screenshot:
2. Then select the date cells that you want to identify the expired dates, and click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
3. In the Select Specific Cells dialog, check Cell or Entire row as your need under Selection type, and select Less than or equal to from the first list of Specific type, and then click the next button to select today date to it. See screenshot:
4. Click Ok, a dialog pops out to tell you the number of cells meeting the specified criteria, and at the same time, all the dates less than or equal to today have been selected.
5. And if you want to highlight the selected cells, you just need to click Home, and go to Fill Color to select a color to highlight them. See screenshot:
Tip: If you want to identify the upcoming expired items, you just need to enter this formula =TODAY() and =TODAY()+90 into two blank cells to get the current date and the date after 90 days from today. And then specify the criteria of Greater than or equal to Today and Less than or equal to Today + 90 Days in the Select Specific Cells dialog. See screenshot:
Now the dates will be expired in upcoming 90 days have been selected. See screenshot:
You may be interested in this:
Excel Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools For Excel brings
300+ cool and powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) for
1500+ work scenarios, helps you solve
80% Excel problems.
- Deal with all complicated tasks in seconds, help to enhance your work ability, get success from the fierce competition, and never worry about being fired.
- Save a lot of work time, leave much time for you to love and care the family and enjoy a comfortable life now.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands, and give you a healthy body.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes, and get admiring glance from your colleagues or friends.
- No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes, have a relaxing and pleasant mind, give you a thrill you've never had before.
- Spend only $39, but worth than $4000 training of others. Being used by 110,000 elites and 300+ well-known companies.
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years. Buy once, use forever.
- Change the way you work now, and give you a better life immediately!
- Increases your productivity by
50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Open and create documents in new tabs of same window, rather than in new windows.
- Help you work faster and easily stand out from the crowd! One second to switch between dozens of open documents!