How to import multiple text files from a folder into one worksheet?
For instances, here you have a folder with multiple text files, what you want to do is to import these text files into a single worksheet as below screenshot show. Instead of copying the text files one by one, are there any tricks to quickly import the text files from one folder into one sheet?
Here is a VBA code can help you import all text files from one specific folder into a new sheet.
1. Enable a workbook you want to import text files, and press Alt + F11 keys to enable Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, copy and paste below VBA code to the Module window.
VBA: Import multiple text files from one folder to one sheet
Sub Test() 'UpdatebyExtendoffice6/7/2016 Dim xWb As Workbook Dim xToBook As Workbook Dim xStrPath As String Dim xFileDialog As FileDialog Dim xFile As String Dim xFiles As New Collection Dim I As Long Set xFileDialog = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker) xFileDialog.AllowMultiSelect = False xFileDialog.Title = "Select a folder [Kutools for Excel]" If xFileDialog.Show = -1 Then xStrPath = xFileDialog.SelectedItems(1) End If If xStrPath = "" Then Exit Sub If Right(xStrPath, 1) <> "\" Then xStrPath = xStrPath & "\" xFile = Dir(xStrPath & "*.txt") If xFile = "" Then MsgBox "No files found", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" Exit Sub End If Do While xFile <> "" xFiles.Add xFile, xFile xFile = Dir() Loop Set xToBook = ThisWorkbook If xFiles.Count > 0 Then For I = 1 To xFiles.Count Set xWb = Workbooks.Open(xStrPath & xFiles.Item(I)) xWb.Worksheets(1).Copy after:=xToBook.Sheets(xToBook.Sheets.Count) On Error Resume Next ActiveSheet.Name = xWb.Name On Error GoTo 0 xWb.Close False Next End If End Sub
3. Press F5 to display a dialog, and select a folder which contains text files you want to import. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. Then the text files have been imported to the active workbook as new sheet separately.
If you want to import one text file to a specific cell or range, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Insert File at Cursor utility.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select a cell you want to import the text file, and click Kutools Plus > Import/ Export > Insert File at Cursor. See screenshot:
2. Then a dialog pops out, click Browse to display the Select a file to be inserted at the cell cursor position dialog, next select Text Files from the drop down list, and then choose the text file you want to import. See screenshot:
3. Click Open > Ok, and the specify text file has been inserted at the cursor position, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!