How to import multiple text files from a folder into one worksheet?
For instances, here you have a folder with multiple text files, what you want to do is to import these text files into a single worksheet as below screenshot show. Instead of copying the text files one by one, are there any tricks to quickly import the text files from one folder into one sheet?
Import multiple text files from one folder into a single sheet with VBA
Import text file to the active cell with Kutools for Excel
Here is a VBA code can help you import all text files from one specific folder into a new sheet.
1. Enable a workbook you want to import text files, and press Alt + F11 keys to enable Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, copy and paste below VBA code to the Module window.
VBA: Import multiple text files from one folder to one sheet
Dim xWb As Workbook
Dim xToBook As Workbook
Dim xStrPath As String
Dim xFileDialog As FileDialog
Dim xFile As String
Dim xFiles As New Collection
Dim I As Long
Set xFileDialog = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)
xFileDialog.AllowMultiSelect = False
xFileDialog.Title = "Select a folder [Kutools for Excel]"
If xFileDialog.Show = -1 Then
xStrPath = xFileDialog.SelectedItems(1)
If xStrPath = "" Then Exit Sub
If Right(xStrPath, 1) <> "\" Then xStrPath = xStrPath & "\"
xFile = Dir(xStrPath & "*.txt")
If xFile = "" Then
MsgBox "No files found", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel"
Do While xFile <> ""
xFiles.Add xFile, xFile
xFile = Dir()
Set xToBook = ThisWorkbook
If xFiles.Count > 0 Then
For I = 1 To xFiles.Count
Set xWb = Workbooks.Open(xStrPath & xFiles.Item(I))
On Error Resume Next
ActiveSheet.Name = xWb.Name
On Error GoTo 0
3. Press F5 to display a dialog, and select a folder which contains text files you want to import. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. Then the text files have been imported to the active workbook as new sheet separately.
If you want to import one text file to a specific cell or range, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Insert File at Cursor utility.
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select a cell you want to import the text file, and click Kutools Plus > Import/ Export > Insert File at Cursor. See screenshot:
2. Then a dialog pops out, click Browse to display the Select a file to be inserted at the cell cursor position dialog, next select Text Files from the drop down list, and then choose the text file you want to import. See screenshot:
3. Click Open > Ok, and the specify text file has been inserted at the cursor position, see screenshot:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!