How to count the difference between letters in Excel?
Count difference between letters with formula
Count number of a specific character in a cell with Kutools for Excel
To calculate the difference between two letters in Excel, there is a simple formula can help you.
Select a blank cell, D2 for instance, and enter this formula =CODE(C2)-CODE(B2), drag auto fill handle down to the cells to apply this formula. See screenshot:
Tip: In the formula, B2 is the first letter, and C2 is the last letter, you can change them as you need.
Have you ever tried to count the total number of a character such as “K” in a cell or a range as below screenshot shown?
If you have Kutools for Excel, you can apply COUNTCHAR function to quickly count the total number of a character appearing in a cell.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select a blank cell to place the counted result you want, take I1 for instance, and click Kutools > Kutools Functions > Statistic & Math > COUNTCHAR. See screenshot:\
2. In the Function Arguments dialog, select the cell you want to count from into Within_text box, and enter “K” into the Find_text box. See screenshot:
Tip: This function is case sensitive, and you must enter character you want to count with double quotation around.
3. Click OK. Now the number of character “K” has been counted, drag the autofill handle over the cells which need this formula. See screenshot:
If you want to count the number of “K” in a range, just need to use =SUM(range) to get the total number of character “K”.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)