How to count the difference between letters in Excel?
Count difference between letters with formula
To calculate the difference between two letters in Excel, there is a simple formula can help you.
Select a blank cell, D2 for instance, and enter this formula =CODE(C2)-CODE(B2), drag auto fill handle down to the cells to apply this formula. See screenshot:
Tip: In the formula, B2 is the first letter, and C2 is the last letter, you can change them as you need.
Count number of a specific character in a cell with Kutools for Excel
Have you ever tried to count the total number of a character such as “K” in a cell or a range as below screenshot shown?
If you have Kutools for Excel, you can apply COUNTCHAR function to quickly count the total number of a character appearing in a cell.
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select a blank cell to place the counted result you want, take I1 for instance, and click Kutools > Kutools Functions > Statistic & Math > COUNTCHAR. See screenshot:\
2. In the Function Arguments dialog, select the cell you want to count from into Within_text box, and enter “K” into the Find_text box. See screenshot:
Tip: This function is case sensitive, and you must enter character you want to count with double quotation around.
3. Click OK. Now the number of character “K” has been counted, drag the autofill handle over the cells which need this formula. See screenshot:
If you want to count the number of “K” in a range, just need to use =SUM(range) to get the total number of character “K”.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!