How to autofill formula when inserting rows in Excel?
When you insert blank rows between existing data rows, the formula will not copy and paste into the new row, you should drag or fill it manually. But, sometimes, you would like to fill the formula when you insert blank rows between data range automatically as following screenshot shown, this article, I will talk about some quick tricks to solve this task.
In Excel, the Table format can help you to fill the above formula into the new inserted blank rows automatically, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to auto fill formula, and then click Insert > Table, see screenshot:
2. In the Create Table dialog, check the My table has headers if there are headers in your data, see screenshot:
3. Then click OK button, and the table has been created, and now, when you insert a blank row, the above formula will be inserted into the new row automatically, see screenshot:
If you don’t like to change the data to table, the below VBA code also can help you to achieve this problem.
1. Select the worksheet tab which contains the formulas you want to auto fill, and right click to choose View Code from the context menu to go to the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window , and then copy and paste the following code into the Module:
VBA code: Auto fill formula when inserting blank rows
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) 'Updateby Extendoffice 20160725 Cancel = True Target.Offset(1).EntireRow.Insert Target.EntireRow.Copy Target.Offset(1).EntireRow On Error Resume Next Target.Offset(1).EntireRow.SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearContents End Sub
2. Then save and close this code, go back to the worksheet, now, when you double click a cell between the data, a new row will be inserted below the active cell and the formula is auto filled as well.
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agoExcellent simple piece of code!!!!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi,
This code is very helpful, however, I have a slightly different requirement. The formulas should be copied when the row is inserted manually, i.e. by "insert row".
Can you please resend the code after incorporating this change i.e. instead of "Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick", some other trigger point to be used "insert row/etc"
Note - I do have any exposure to coding being from the Accounts background.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI am using the code to insert a line on double-click. However, there is something wrong, Excel does not increment the first reference in my formula in the next but one row. However, it is corrected for all remaining rows.
I inserted a line at row 144 and this is what I got: (note S144 in 3rd line should be S145)
row 144 =(S143+D144+E144)-(K144+L144+M144+N144+O144+Q144+R144)
row 145 =(S144+D145+E145)-(K145+L145+M145+N145+O145+Q145+R145)
row 146 =(S144+D146+E146)-(K146+L146+M146+N146+O146+Q146+R146)
row 147 =(S146+D147+E147)-(K147+L147+M147+N147+O147+Q147+R147)
Any clues as to why it does this, I don't think it is the VBA???
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoDoes the table method work in excel for xp (2002) and if yes, how?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThe code works very well, but does not update cell reference in first row after the inserted row.See below"
50 10 40
40 10 50
40 20 20
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThis code is very good, but it does not update the cell reference in the first following row after the inserted row. Can you please help?
50 10 40
40 10 50
40 20 20
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoAbove formula is very helpful for me please tell me how to use this code permanently
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agodear above formula which helps to update the above formula on inserting row by double clicking. I want to know how to use this code permanently because when i close the sheet and reopen code finishes. Please help to solve the issue. This formula is very helpful for me
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoVery easy solution. Thank you very much.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI followed the VBA code mentioned above for my xls. I have one .xls with multiple sheets in it , i want if i insert a row in my one sheet at the start or any of the sheet for that matter it should auto insert row in all my sheet in the same worksheet. Also each of my sheet as formulas hence i want the moment auto insert takes place the formula of above row should get autofill in the new row which is not happening totally if i follow the VBA code mentioned , the rows are getting inserted in all my sheets the formula also shows up but it misses one row in it.
Eg. I have sheet A with 100 rows , sheet B with 100 ros and so on with other sheets. If I insert row in sheet A it shows auto insert in Sheet B , but sheet B values of some column are linked with sheet A and the moment i insert a row eg 10 , row 11 is a new row and the same row 11 in sheet B also shows up but the value it should pull from row 11 of sheet A from column C rather it shows row 12 of sheet A , this happens on any row i insert the value in sheet B is always of the next row rather than same row that i inserted. Another problem that comes here is with my first column Sr. no the moment i insert a row in 5 , sr no 6 with new row shows up but prior to that i already had row 6 as i have a formula for Sr. no A6+1 as my column starts from A6 and so on so how to sort this issue with 2 rows with same sr. no. This is very crucial sheet am working on and i need to get this sorted, i have refereed many VBA codes but none is effective. Hoping for a proper solution to my issue.