How to automatically hide columns based on date in Excel?
Supposing, I have a range of data in a worksheet, now, I want to hide the columns based on a specific date automatically. For example, when I enter the date 5/16/2016 in a cell, I want to hide the columns which date is less than this specific date immediately as following screenshot shown. This article will introduce some tricks for solving it.
To complete this task, the following VBA code may help you, please do as follows:
1. Select the sheet tab which you want to hide by date, and right click to choose View Code from the context menu to go to the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window , and then copy and paste the following code into the Module:
VBA code: Automatically hide columns based on specific date:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim xCell As Range If Target.Address <> Range("K4").Address Then Exit Sub Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each xCell In Range("A1:I1") xCell.EntireColumn.Hidden = (xCell.Value < Target.Value) Next Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
2. Then save and close this code, go back to the worksheet, and now, when you enter the date into cell K4, the columns which date is less than this specific date will be hidden automatically.
Note: In the above code, K4 is the specific date cell which you want to hide the columns based on, A1:I1 is the row cells contain the date you used.
If you are not familiar with the code, here is a handy tool-Kutools for Excel, with its Select Specific Cells utility, you can finish this job with ease.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the date headers, and click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells, see screenshot:
2. In the popped out Select Specific Cells dialog box, select Entire column from the Selection type, and then choose the criteria, such as Less than from the Specific type drop down list, and enter the date into the next to text box which you want to hide columns based on, see screenshot:
3. And then click Ok button, the specific columns which date is less than 5/16/2016 are selected at once, see screenshot:
4. Then right click any one selected column header, and select Hide to hide theses selected columns as you need. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!