How to monitor cell changes in Excel?
How could you monitor a worksheet cells if the data is changed in Excel? This may be help you to identify the changed cells as quickly as you can. This article, I will talk about some interesting methods to deal with this task in Excel.
Excel has a useful Track Changes feature, it can help you to mark the changed cells, please do as follows:
1. Click Review > Track Changes > Highlight Changes, see screenshot:
2. In the Highlight Changes dialog box, do the following operations:
(1.) Check Track changes while editing. This also shares your workbook.
(2.) Under the Highlight which changes section, specify the When, Who, and Where items as you need.
(3.) At last, check Highlight changes on screen option.
3. After finishing the settings, click OK button, now, when you change any cell values in the specified cells, a border with a triangular icon is around the changed cells, see screenshot:
Note: With this method, your workbook will become a shared workbook.
The following VBA code also can help you to monitor cell values when they are changed, please do as this:
1. Right click the sheet tab which you want to monitor cell changes, and choose View Code from the context menu, in the opened Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please copy and paste the following VBA code into the Module:
VBA code: Monitor cell changes in Excel worksheet:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) 'Updateby Extendoffice 20160728 Dim xrng As Range Set xrng = Range("A1:E7") If Not Application.Intersect(xrng, Range(Target.Address)) _ Is Nothing Then MsgBox "Cell " & Target.Address & " has changed.", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" End If End Sub
Note: In the above code, A1:E7 is the data range that you want to monitor if cell changes, you can change it to your need.
2. Then save and close this code window, and now, when you change the cell value in the specified range, a message box will pop out to remind you, see screenshot:
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 months agoif i have large amount of data in excel file, and i just want to know status in one different colum that if any cell gets change its value then it should indicate in from of that cell's row , tha status shoild be changed, how can i do this
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agohello how can we track by date and time in the change in the cell
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoWoooow this is nowhere else except here! Amazing!
Is there any way to insert a row right below the row of the cell where the cell was updated?
To make it more challenging, if I have list validation enabled or formula enabled can that as well be copied to the new row?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi, amar,
To insert a row below the changed value, the following VBA code can help you, please try it.
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim xRg As Range
Dim xStrPre, xStr As String
On Error Resume Next
Set xRg = Range("A1:E7")
If Intersect(xRg, Target) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
xStr = Target.Value
xStrPre = Target.Value
Target.Offset(1, 0).EntireRow.Insert xlShiftDown
Target.Offset(1, 0).Value = xStrPre
Target.Value = xStr
Application.EnableEvents = True