How to track changes without sharing workbook?
Normally, when you apply the Track Changes feature in Excel, the workbook will be shared at the same time, this will be annoying because some of the features in Excel will be disabled. How could you track changes without sharing workbook? Here, I will recommend a VBA code for you.
There is no direct way for you to solve this problem, but, you can apply a flexible VBA code to solve it, please do as follows:
1. Right click at the sheet tab that you want to track changed cells, and choose View Code from the context menu, in the popped out Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please copy and paste the following code into the blank Module:
VBA code: Track changes without sharing workbook:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) 'Updateby Extendoffice Const xRg As String = "A1:Z1000" Dim strOld As String Dim strNew As String Dim strCmt As String Dim xLen As Long With Target(1) If Intersect(.Cells, Range(xRg)) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub strNew = .Text Application.EnableEvents = False Application.Undo strOld = .Text .Value = strNew Application.EnableEvents = True strCmt = "Edit: " & Format$(Now, "dd Mmm YYYY hh:nn:ss") & " by " & _ Application.UserName & Chr(10) & "Previous Text :- " & strOld If Target(1).Comment Is Nothing Then .AddComment Else xLen = Len(.Comment.Shape.TextFrame.Characters.Text) End If With .Comment.Shape.TextFrame .AutoSize = True .Characters(Start:=xLen + 1).Insert IIf(xLen, vbLf, "") & strCmt End With End With End Sub
Note: In the above code, A1:Z1000 is the data range that you want to track changes.
2. Then save and close this code window, now, when you change the values in any cells within the specified range you set in the code, the cells will be tracked, and the workbook is not be shared. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!