How to duplicate rows based on cell value in a column?
For example, I have a range of data which contains a list of numbers in column D, and now, I want to duplicate the entire rows a number of times based on the numeric values in column D to get the following result. How could I copy the rows multiple times based on the cell values in Excel?
To copy and duplicate the entire rows multiple times based on the cell values, the following VBA code may help you, please do as this:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Duplicate rows multiple times based on cell value:
Sub CopyData() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim xRow As Long Dim VInSertNum As Variant xRow = 1 Application.ScreenUpdating = False Do While (Cells(xRow, "A") <> "") VInSertNum = Cells(xRow, "D") If ((VInSertNum > 1) And IsNumeric(VInSertNum)) Then Range(Cells(xRow, "A"), Cells(xRow, "D")).Copy Range(Cells(xRow + 1, "A"), Cells(xRow + VInSertNum - 1, "D")).Select Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown xRow = xRow + VInSertNum - 1 End If xRow = xRow + 1 Loop Application.ScreenUpdating = False End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, the entire rows have been duplicated multiple times based on the cell value in column D as you need.
If you are not familiar with the VBA code and are unable to change the parameters in the code correctly by yourself. In this case, the Kutools for Excel's Duplicate Rows / Columns Based on Cell Value feature can help you to copy and insert rows multiple times based on the cell values with only three clicks.
- Click Kutools > Insert > Duplicate Rows/Columns Based on Cell Value to enable this feature;
- Then, choose Copy and insert rows option, and specify the cells of the Insert Range and Repeat Times separately in the dialog box.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!