In Excel, you can change the sheet name by double clicking the tab name quickly and easily, but, sometimes, you wouldn’t allow others to change the sheet name. In this case, how could you prevent from changing the sheet name in a workbook?
Prevent from changing sheet name by protecting workbook
If you apply the Protect Workbook function, all of the sheet names will not be changed, please do as follows:
1. Click Review > Protect Workbook, see screenshot:
2. In the Protect Structure and Windows dialog box, enter the password, check the Structure under Protect workbook for, and then confirm the password again, see screenshot:
3. Then click OK button, now, when you double click to change the sheet name, a warning message will pop out to remind you the sheet name cannot be changed, see screenshot:
Note: With this feature, except changing sheet name, other functions such as inserting sheet, delete sheet, hide sheet…are disabled as well.
Prevent from changing sheet name by using VBA code
Here is a VBA code also can help you to prevent a specific sheet name being changed. Please do as this:
1. Right click the sheet tab that you want to protect the sheet name not to be changed, and then choose View Code from the context menu, in the popped out Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please copy and paste the following code into the blank Module:
VBA code: Prevent from changing sheet name:
Private Sub worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
If ActiveSheet.Name <> "Master" Then
ActiveSheet.Name = "Master"
Note: In the above code, Master is the sheet name which you want to protect from being changed.
2. Then save and close the code, from now on, when you rename this specific sheet name, it will be restored to the original one at once. See screenshot:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.