How to send an email when the attachment Excel file is opened by the recipients?
Most of us may send some important messages with an Excel file attachment to our clients, so we need to know if the recipient has received the message and opened the file attachment. In this case, you can create a VBA code for your Excel attachment file, when the recipient open the workbook and activate the code, then a prompt email will be send to you automatically.
Before sending this Excel file, you should create a code as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Then double click ThisWorkbook under the VBAProject section to open a blank module, and then copy and paste the following code into the module:
VBA code: Send an email when the Excel file is opened:
Private Sub Workbook_Open() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim olkObj As Object Dim olkEm As Object Dim strbody As String Set olkObj = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") Set olkEm = olkObj.CreateItem(0) strbody = "Hi there" & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _ ThisWorkbook.Name & vbNewLine & _ "was opened by" & vbNewLine & _ Environ("username") On Error Resume Next With olkEm .To = "" .CC = "" .BCC = "" .Subject = "File opened" .Body = strbody .Send End With On Error GoTo 0 Set olkEm = Nothing Set olkObj = Nothing End Sub
Note: In the above code, you should change the email address to your own address which you want to receive the prompt email, and change the subject to your need.
3. Then save this workbook as Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook file format, see screenshot:
4. And then send a message with this file attachment to the recipients you need, when the recipients downloading and opening this Excel file and activating the code, an prompt email will be automatically sent to you and tells you that the file was opened by who as following screenshot shown:
Note: This method is only available when you use Outlook as your mail program.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!