How to check if a file exists in a specific folder?
Supposing, you have a folder which contains multiple files, and now, you want to identify if a specific file exists in this folder from Excel. This article, I will introduce a quick method for you to check if a file exists in a specific folder in details through Excel.
To check if a file exists in a specific folder or not in Excel worksheet, you can apply the following VBA code, please do as this:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Check if a file exists in a specific folder:
Sub Test_File_Exist_With_Dir() 'Updateby Extendoffice Application.ScreenUpdating = False Dim FilePath As String FilePath = "" On Error Resume Next FilePath = Dir("C:\Users\DT168\Desktop\Test folder\Book2.xlsx") On Error GoTo 0 If FilePath = "" Then MsgBox "File doesn't exist", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" Else MsgBox "File exist", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" End If Application.ScreenUpdating = False End Sub
Note: In the above code, you should change the file path and name C:\Users\DT168\Desktop\Test folder\Book2.xlsx" to your need.
3. After pasting the code, please press F5 key to run this code:
(1.) If the file exists, you will get the following screenshot:
(2.) If the file does not exist, you will get the following warning:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)