How to sort multiple rows or columns independently at once in Excel?
In Excel, you can apply the Sort feature to sort only one row or column in a range of columns, but, if you need to sort multiple rows or columns independently at once to get the following screenshot shown. Are there any quick ways to solve this task in Excel?
To sort multiple columns independently in an ascending order, the following VBA code may help you, please do as this:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Sort multiple columns independently at once:
Sub SortIndividualJR() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim xRg As Range Dim yRg As Range Dim ws As Worksheet Set ws = ActiveSheet On Error Resume Next Set xRg = Application.InputBox(Prompt:="Range Selection:", _ Title:="Kutools for excel", Type:=8) Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each yRg In xRg With ws.Sort .SortFields.Clear .SortFields.Add Key:=yRg, Order:=xlAscending .SetRange ws.Range(yRg, yRg.End(xlDown)) .Header = xlNo .MatchCase = False .Apply End With Next yRg Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box is popped out to remind you select the data range that you want to sort based on each column, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK, each columns have been sorted dependently at once, see screenshot:
If you want to sort multiple rows independently, here also is a VBA code for you.
1. Select the data that you want to sort based on each rows.
2. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
3. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Sort multiple rows independently at once:
Sub SortIndividualR() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim xRg As Range, yRg As Range If TypeName(Selection) <> "Range" Then Exit Sub Set xRg = Selection If xRg.Count = 1 Then MsgBox "Select multiple cells!", vbExclamation, "Kutools for Excel" Exit Sub End If With Application .ScreenUpdating = False .EnableEvents = False .Calculation = xlCalculationManual End With Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each yRg In xRg.Rows yRg.Sort Key1:=yRg.Cells(1, 1), _ Order1:=xlAscending, _ Header:=xlNo, _ Orientation:=xlSortRows Next yRg With Application .ScreenUpdating = True .EnableEvents = True .Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic End With Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
4. Then press F5 key to run this code, the data in each rows have been sorted at once, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!