How to find overlapping date/time ranges in Excel?
In this article, I am going to talk about how to find or check if a date range or time range is overlapping with others in Excel as below screenshot shown.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
1. Select the start date cells, go to Name Box to type a name and press Enter key to successfully give this range a ranged name. See screenshot:
2. Then go to select the end dates, and give it another ranged name in the Name Box and press Enter key. See screenshot:
3. Select a blank cell that you will place the judgement, and type this formula =SUMPRODUCT((A2<enddate)*(B2>=startdate))>1, and drag auto fill handle down to the cells with the formula. If the cell displays TRUE, it means the relative date range is overlapping with others, otherwise the data ranges are not overlapping with others.
In the formula, A2 and B2 are the date range you want to check, enddate and startdate are the ranged names you gave in above steps.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoFormel ergänzen: "A2<=" statt "A2<"
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi,
I have been having problem with some overlapping events: I would like to calculate each even’ts non-overlap minutes from a time series of downtime events.
A generic formula supposed to work for any duration of a time event condition such as multiple events overlap, some, non etc. Up to that point no problem but when total duration of some random events overlap with a single event then I am having issues in terms of a generic excel formulation to calculate non-overlap time of each event. That sheet will be automated so I can’t use different formula for each row since when sheet gets updated all new downtime will be on it. Here is an example:
If you specifically look up 12/14/2017 8:00 am to 12/15/2017 9:00, you can see my point.
Downtime Start (with date) Downtime End (with date)
12/14/2017 6:00 12/14/2017 7:30
12/14/2017 6:30 12/14/2017 7:30
12/14/2017 6:30 12/14/2017 16:00
12/14/2017 7:00 12/14/2017 8:15
12/14/2017 7:30 12/14/2017 8:30
12/14/2017 7:30 12/14/2017 15:00
12/14/2017 7:45 12/14/2017 8:00
12/14/2017 8:00 12/15/2017 9:00
12/14/2017 9:00 12/14/2017 10:00
12/14/2017 11:00 12/15/2017 16:00
Your help would be really appreciated!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoSorry, I did not have any idea about your question, you can go to our forum https://www.extendoffice.com/forum/kutools-for-excel.html, maybe someone can help you.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi, I a m looking for a formula to resolve the below issue. I have unique Employee ID with duplicate Leaves. I want to highlight duplicate or overlapped leaves (start Date and End Date) under 'My Remark' column. Appreciate your assistance.
find the attached template for your review.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoSorry I do not understand your question clearly. What you need is to highlight the groups by same values as below screenshot shown?