How to skip cells or columns when tabbing in Excel?
By default, pressing the Tab key in Excel will move from a cell to the next one horizontally. For some Excel users, they tend to skip cells when tabbing in Excel. For example, cell A1 is selecting now, after pressing the Tab key, it will jump to cell C1 directly with skipping the cell B1, and pressing the Tab key again will skip the cell D1 and move to E1 as below screenshot shown. How to achieve it? The method in this article can help you.
Please do as follows to skip cells or columns when tabbing in Excel by using VBA code.
1. In the worksheet you need to skip cells when tabbing, please right click the sheet tab, and click View Code from the context menu.
2. In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Skip cells or columns when tabbing in Excel
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Static sRg As Range Dim ColumnOffset As Integer If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Not Intersect(Target, Union([B:B], [D:D], [F:F])) Is Nothing Then With Target Application.EnableEvents = False If Not sRg Is Nothing Then If sRg.Column < .Column Then ColumnOffset = 1 ElseIf .Column <> 1 Then ColumnOffset = -1 End If Else ColumnOffset = 1 End If .Offset(, ColumnOffset).Select Application.EnableEvents = True End With End If Set sRg = ActiveCell End Sub
Note: In the code, [B:B], [D:D], [F:F] are columns you will skip when pressing the Tab key. You can change them as you need, and you can add new column you need to skip into the code.
3. Press the Alt + Q keys to exit the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
From now on, when tabbing in Excel, the specified column cells will be skipped automatically. At the same time, you can only click these specified columns, the skipped columns will not be selected or edited.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!