How to rank values excluding subtotal in Excel?
There is a range which contains the stores, regions, sales and the subtotal of sales in each region. Now the job is to rank all sales excluding subtotal as below screenshot shown, how can you quickly handle it in Excel?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To rank values excluding subtotal, you need a helper column.
1. Select a blank cell next to the value you want to rank, type 1 into it, then drag auto fill handle down to fill series numbers until meeting the subtotal value. see screenshot:
2. Then go to the next value you want to rank to continue filling the series numbers, and repeat this step to fill all values you want to rank with series numbers. See screenshot:
3. Then you can rank the values excluding subtotals. Select a blank cell, E2, type this formula, =IF(N(D2),RANK(C2,$C$2:$C$16,1),"") (C2 is the cell that you want to rank, D2 is the series number, C2:C16 is the list of values you want to rank), and then drag fill handle down to the cells which need to apply this formula. See screenshot:
If you want to rank values in descending order, you can use this formula=IF(N(E2),RANK(E2,$E$2:$E$16),""), E2:E16 is the range contains the formula =IF(N(D2),RANK(C2,$C$2:$C$16,1),"").