How to quickly extract a nth character from a string in Excel?
In general, you may want to extract string after a specific character, but in this case, I want to extract the nth character from a string as below screenshot shown:
To extract the nth character from a text string, you can apply a formula in Excel.
Select a blank cell which you will place the result, type this formula, =MID(A2&" ",7,1) (A2 is the string you use, 7 is the nth character you want to extract, and 1 indicates to extract one character), drag Auto fill handle over the cells you need. See screenshot:
If you want to extract all characters after the nth one, you can choose one of below methods to handle it.
First one, extract by formula
Select a blank cell which you will place the result, type this formula, =MID(A2,7,LEN(A2)) (A2 is the string you use, and 7 is the nth character you want to extract), drag Auto fill handle over the cells you need. See screenshot:
The second one, extract by Kutools for Excel
With Kutools for Excel’s Remove by Position feature, you can quickly remove characters in a specific position.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the cells you use, click Kutools > Text > Remove by Position. See screenshot:
2. In the Remove by Position dialog, specify the number of characters and position as you want to remove from the string. For instance, to extract string after the 7th character, you can set the number you want to remove from left is 6. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok or Apply, the characters in the front of 7th character have been removed.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!