How to add dotted forecast line in an Excel line chart?
Let’s say you have created a line chart to display the sales amount in the first half year as below screenshot shown. But now, you need to forecast the sales amount in the second half year, and add the forecasted values as a dotted line in the chart, how to deal with it? This article will introduce an easy solution to add a dotted forecast line in an existing line chart in Excel.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
To add a dotted forecast line in an existing line chart in Excel, please do as follows:
1. Beside the source data, add a Forecast column, and list the forecasted sales amount as below screenshot shown.
Note: Please remember to add the sales amount of Jun in the Forecast column too.
2. Right-click the line chart, and click Select Data in the context menu. See screenshot:
3. In the Select Data Source dialog box, please click the Add button in the Legend Entries (Series) section. See screenshot:
4. Now the Edit Series dialog box comes out. Please (1) type Forecast in the Series name box, (2) specify the Forecast column excluding the column header as Series values, and then (3) click the OK buttons successively to close the two dialog boxes. See screenshot:
5. Now the forecast line is added to the line chart. Right-click the forecast line, and click Format Data Series from the context menu. See screenshot:
6. In the Format Data Series pane, please (1) click the Fill & Line icon, (2) expand the Line section; and (3) Select Round Dot from the Dash type drop-down list. See screenshot:
Note: If you are using Excel 2010 or earlier versions, it will open the Format Data Series dialog box. In the dialog box, please click Line Style in the left bar, select Round Dot from the Dash type drop-down list, and then close the dialog box.
So far, we have added the dotted forecast line in the existing line chart. See screenshot: