How to add a single data point in an Excel line chart?
In general, it’s easy to add two data series in one chart in Excel. But now, you need to add only one data point in an existing line chart in Excel, how to solve this problem? Below solution will ease your work.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
For example, you have created a line chart in Excel as below screenshot shown. You can add a single data point in the line chart as follows:
1. Beside the source data, type the specified data point you will add in the chart. See screenshot:
2. Right-click the line chart, and click Select Data from the context menu. See screenshot:
3. In the Select Data Source dialog box, please click the Add button in the Legend Entries (Series) section. See screenshot:
4. Now the Edit Series dialog box comes out. Please (1) name the single data point in the Series name box, (2) specify the whole column including the single data point as Series values, and (3) click the OK button successively to close both dialog boxes. See screenshot:
5. Go ahead to right-click the line in the chart, and select Change Series Chart Type from the context menu. See screenshot:
6. In the Change Chart Type dialog box, under the All Charts tab, please click Line in the left bar, click Line with Markers icon, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: If you are using Excel 2010 or earlier versions, please right click the chart and select Change Chart Type from the context menu, and then click to select the Line with Markers icon in the popping out dialog box, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now you will see the single data point is added to the line chart. See screenshot: