How to extract string between two different characters in Excel?
If you have a list of string in Excel which you need to extract part of string between two characters from as below screenshot shown, how to handle it as quickly as possible? Here, I introduce some methods about solving this job.
To extract part string between two different characters, you can do as this:
Select a cell which you will place the result, type this formula =MID(LEFT(A1,FIND(">",A1)-1),FIND("<",A1)+1,LEN(A1)), and press Enter key.
Note: A1 is the text cell, > and < are the two characters you want to extract string between.
If you want to extract part string between two same characters, you can do as this:
Select a cell which you will place the result, type this formula =SUBSTITUTE(MID(SUBSTITUTE("/" & A3&REPT(" ",6),"/",REPT(",",255)),2*255,255),",",""), and press Enter key.
Note: A3 is the text cell, / is the character you want to extract between.
If you have Kutools for Excel, you also can extract part string between two texts.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select a cell which will place the extracted string, then click Kutools > Formula > Formula Helper.
2. In the Formula Helper dialog, .check Filter checkbox, then type "ex" into the textbox, all formulas about extracting will be list in Choose a formula section, choose Extract strings between specified text, then go to right Arguments input section, select the cell which you want to extract substring from into Cell, then type the two texts you want to extract between.
3. Click Ok, then the substring between two texts you specified has been extracted, drag fill handle down to extract subtring from each cells below.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!