How to extract string between two different characters in Excel?
If you have a list of string in Excel which you need to extract part of string between two characters from as below screenshot shown, how to handle it as quickly as possible? Here, I introduce some methods about solving this job.
quickly extract all email addresses from text strings to another location in Excel
|Sometimes, you may have a list of text strings including the email addresses in Excel, and you want to extract the email addresses to another column for convenient use. With this case, how can you solve this mission? Kutools for Excel’s Extract Mail Address utility can quickly extract the email addresses from text string in Excel. Click for full-featured free trial in days!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
To extract part string between two different characters, you can do as this:
Select a cell which you will place the result, type this formula =MID(LEFT(A1,FIND(">",A1)-1),FIND("<",A1)+1,LEN(A1)), and press Enter key.
Note: A1 is the text cell, > and < are the two characters you want to extract string between.
If you want to extract part string between two same characters, you can do as this:
Select a cell which you will place the result, type this formula =SUBSTITUTE(MID(SUBSTITUTE("/" & A3&REPT(" ",6),"/",REPT(",",255)),2*255,255),",",""), and press Enter key.
Note: A3 is the text cell, / is the character you want to extract between.
If you have Kutools for Excel, you also can extract part string between two characters.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the cells you want to extract from, and click Kutools > Text > Extract Text….
2. In the Extract Text dialog, type the two characters you want to extract string between, and type * between the two characters in the Text box, and click Add to add this extracting criterion into Extract list.
3. Click Ok to select a cell to place the result.
4. Click OK. Then click Kutools > Text > Remove Characters.
5. In the Remove Characters dialog, only check the Custom checkbox, and type the two characters you want to remove into textbox.
6. Click Ok. The part string between : and – have been extracted.
Tabbed browsing & editing multiple Excel workbooks/Word documents as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explore 10!
You may be familiar to view multiple webpages in Firefox/Chrome/IE, and switch between them by clicking corresponding tabs easily. Here, Office Tab supports similar processing, which allow you to browse multiple Excel workbooks or Word documents in one Excel window or Word window, and easily switch between them by clicking their tabs. Click for free 45-day trial of Office Tab!