4 easy ways to quickly remove Multiple Blank or empty rows in Excel
If there are hundreds of blank rows needed to be removed through the whole worksheet or workbook, you will be frustrated. Here this tutorial will list some speedy methods to handle this job for you step by step.
- Method A: Remove blank rows with the Go To Special command (4 steps)
- Method B: Remove blank rows in range/sheet/workbook with Kutools (1 step)
- Method C: Remove blank rows with the VBA code (4 steps)
- Method D: Remove blank rows with the helper column and Filter function (7 steps)
- Relative operation: Insert blank rows in every other row
- DowDnload sample file
Now please do as below steps to remove empty rows with Go To Special rows:
1. Select the range you want to remove blank rows, click Home tab, then in Editing group, click Find & Select > Go To Special.
2. In the Go To Special dialog, check Blanks option.
3. Click OK, now all blank cells in the selection have been selected.
4. Click Home tab, in the Cells group, click Delete > Delete Sheet Rows.
Now the rows with blank cells have been removed.
There is a fatal flow while you using the Go To Special command to delete blank rows:
All rows contain blank cells (even if the row contains one blank cell and other columns contain data) will be removed as below screenshot shown.
Do You Want To Have A Pay Raise and Much Time To Accompany With Family?
Office Tab Enhances Your Efficiency By 50% In Microsoft Office Working Right Now
Unbelievable, working at two or more documents is easier and faster than working at one.
Compareed with well-known browsers, the tabbed tool in Office Tab is more powerful and more efficient.
Reduce hundreds of mouse-clicks and keyboard typing every day for you, say goodbye to the mouse hand now.
If you usually work at multiple documents, Office Tab will be a great time-saver for you.
30-day free trial, no credit card required.
If you want to quickly and easily remove all blank rows in selection, active sheet, selected sheets or the whole workbook without any wrong deletion，you can try the Delete Blank Rows tool of Kutools for Excel, which can handle jobs with one click without VBA code and helper column.
However, before you using this tool, you need to free installing Kutools for Excel firstly.
Click Kutools > Delete > Delete Blank Rows, then in the sub drop-down list, choose one operation as you need.
Demo: Remove all the blank rows with only one click
1. Press Alt + F11 key to enable Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module to create a new Module script, copy and paste below code to the script.
VBA: Remove empty rows
Sub DeleteBlankRows() 'Update 20190107 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) xRows = WorkRng.Rows.Count Application.ScreenUpdating = False For I = xRows To 1 Step -1 If Application.WorksheetFunction.CountA(WorkRng.Rows(I)) = 0 Then WorkRng.Rows(I).EntireRow.Delete XlDeleteShiftDirection.xlShiftUp End If Next Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press F5 key to run the code, then select a range you use to remove blank rows in the popping KutoolsforExcel dialog.
4. Click OK. Now the empty rows in selection have been removed.
With this VBA code, you’d better remove blank rows in a range but not in the whole worksheet, or Microsoft Excel may get stuck.
1. Insert one column before your data range, take inserting Column A as instance, then type this formula =B3&C3&D3 into A3 to combine data in row3, see screenshot:
Tip: If your data across Column B3 to Column N, adjust the formula to =B3&C3&D3&E3&…&N3.
2. Then fill the formula to cells by dragging the auto fill handle down.
3. Then click Data > Filter.
4. Then click the Filter icon at the helper column, check Blanks option only in the drop-down list. See screenshot:
5. Click OK, the all blank rows have been filtered out.
6. Select the filtered rows, click Home > Delete > Delete Sheet Rows to remove the blank rows.
7. Then click Data > Filter again to disable Filter function.
Compare to method A and method C, this method can exactly remove blank rows and easy-to-handle for every Excel users. However, if there are dozens of columns in your data, this method will be a little tedious.
Maybe in some times, you want to insert blank rows in every other row of a range as below screenshot shown:
In this case, you can apply the Insert Blank Rows & Columns utility of Kutools for Excel to quickly handle this job.
1. Select the range you want to insert blank rows or columns in every other row, then click Kutools > Insert > Insert Blank Rows & Columns.
2. In the Insert Blank Rows & Columns dialog, check Blank rows or Blank columns option as you need in Insert type section, then, in Options section, specify the Interval of and Rows/Columns.
3. Click Ok, blank rows have been inserted in every other row of the selection.
Demo: Insert Blank rows & columns
|Kutools for Excel: hundreds of advanced functions you must have in Excel, 60-day free trial from here.|
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!