How to vlookup values across multiple worksheets to return sheet names in Excel?
Supposing, I have multiple worksheets and each sheet contains a list of names, now, I want to vlookup the names in a master sheet and return the matching sheet names where the names are located as following screenshot shown. How could you solve this task in Excel?
Here, I will introduce a formula to help you to deal with this problem in Excel, please do with following steps:
1. First, you should list all the sheet names which you want to vlookup the names from, and then define a range name for these sheet names. Please select the sheet names, and then enter a range name into the Name Box, and then press Enter key, see screenshot:
Note: If there are multiple worksheet names you want to list into cells, the Create List of Sheet Names feature of Kutools for Excel can help you list all sheet names within a workbook as following screenshot shown:
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Download and free trial Now!
2. Then enter this formula into a cell where you want to extract the sheet names based on the given names: =INDEX(sheetlist,MATCH(1,--(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&sheetlist&"'!$A$2:$A$12"),A2)>0),0)) , and then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together to get the first matched sheet name, then drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and all corresponding sheet names have been extracted based on the name list, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, sheetlist is the range name you are created in step1, and A2:A12 is the name list in other sheets, A2 is the name cell in master sheet you want to return sheet names based on.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!